Last years problems....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Last year a beatle, I think it was big & gray(?), ate my sisters squash, pumpkins, ect... she said they bored through the stems and killed them. Also, her Radish where so hard they were inedible... What was the beatle? What do you use to kill them, she tried all kinds of chemicle treatments and nothing worked. What's up wih the Radishes? She lives in MN, she said her soil was heavy so she worked peat moss and fertilizer in before planting. I've never heard of the problem with the Radishes before... was it the type she planted? If so, what's a good type of Red Radish for a northern garden?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sounds like two kinds of invaders attacked. The "squash vine borer" is the culprit...he/she is the one that got into the stems. You just have to watch for them...if you see evidence the run a wire (coathanger) into the hole and pull them out, smashing them. (The vine can usually be buried or mound dirt over it and it will send out roots to help the plant survive.) Also Bt syringed into the hole will kill the borer.
As for the other culprit, your sister probably saw the infamous "squash bug" (oftentimes referred to as a "stink bug"). They tend to suck the sap out of the plants parts and in the process leave behind a viral disease. A constant check under the leaves for eggs will keep the population down (just rub/squish them with your thumb and fingers). As for the grown-ups, some folks get out the big sprays and kill 'em...I do a good job with Safer's Soap mixed with alcohol and spray them.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

My only thought on the radish is that they were left in the ground too long. The one time I grew them, they were ready to harvest 20 days after sprouting; the ones I left in the ground for 30 days were woody/inedible.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

hey, shoe - will the death-by-hanger and bury-the-vine work for pumpkins? I discovered this morning that all three of my pumpkin plants (yeah, just three) have been gnawed on badly at the base. I was going to try to slice the stem and cut out the borers, then sprinkle some Bt on the plants as a precaution against additional infestation...then I remembered this thread. Any advice before I begin surgery?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow! That's exactly what I did about a week ago to one of my pumpkins plants! I planted some seeds from a giant Dill pumpkin and the fruit was turning orange sooner than I wanted it to.

When I looked closer I saw evidence of an invader in the stem, so sprinkled Bt (liquid) all up in there, then threw a shovel full of dirt over it. (I didn't use a coat hanger, the stem looked like it would fall apart.)

So far the pumpkin (and plant) seems just fine. Haven't peeked yet to check for new roots but will look this weekend sometime.

I also treat the original planting the same way...it was beginning to look invaded as well as the one vine that is supporting this pumpkin.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Shoe~
What is safers soap and where do I get it? I found some baby squash bugs on my LibraSquash, so I sprinkled self rising flour everywhere that they might want to eat. Well, we got half an inch of rain last night, so now I will have to re-treat, thought I would try your remedy.

Another thing I learned for borers, is to protect your plants from dying by allowing them to develop other root systems. Simply fing a spot where the vine have put of little tendrils, cover with dirt, and they will make roots!

I found some safers soap, now I am looking for the recipe you had in a nother thread. Someone had a recipe with alcohol, palmolive, and MG 15/30/15. Do you know what MG is? Thanks...

This message was edited Jul 23, 2004 12:56 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

MG is Miracle Gro. ( I don't use it, sorry.) The idea of putting it in must be to aid in healing and growth.)

I believe the thread you are looking for is in the Brugmansia Forum and was posted by MaVie.

As for me and stink bugs/squash bugs...Safer's Soap with about 2 tblspoons of rubbing alcohol in it (mixed per gallon) with a few drops (or a squirt) of dishwashing soap (not detergent) will do you justice. I water the plants first with plain water, using a hose...this makes the bugs run to the top to "air dry" in the sun. Once they are there, hit them with the Safer's concoction! Surprise! ♫

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Shoe~
Won't be using that MG, and what is a brugmansia, I wonder how I got there ??? LOL

Have to wait for the Safer's Soap to come in, might try the alcohol and dish soap without it for now. I also ordered kelp to put in it.

Thanks again
~Corny

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Here is the thread you probably saw....scroll down to may 30th (I think, a post by MaVie)...she doesn't use Safer's soap, just palmolive.

http://davesgarden.com/t/433894/

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Shoe~Thanks will give this a try tomorrow. Hand picked the bugs today, and counted my already large winter squash, 15 of them!
My poor body is so tired, I unloaded two 16 foot trailers full of horse manure with a shovel and wheelbarrow. I didn't cover everything, but spread it about 4 inches thick in several beds.
I don't think the Safer's Soap will be in till thursday, that is when the truck comes.
Thanks again, and Mavie sure is a gem, I will have to read some of her stuff when I have no other lingering work. Alfalfa surely is good to corn, my Stowell's Sweet corn is over 7 foot high, and not due to be ready tilll September 1st!!!I hilled it with loose alfalfa hay when it was about 2 foot high...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Thought I had bumped this up already... great info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.