Ladybug Pupa??

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

So, the 'little alligators', http://davesgarden.com/t/370131/, pupate to make a ladybug? I read that they are one of the few that can still protect themselves in this stage. When touched, it arches and straightens, and the grooves between the segments open and close. The edges are sharp and serrated and can actually 'bite' a predator. Wow! This one didn't move. Had I known what it was I'd probably have brought it in to watch too!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

That's interesting. Never heard anything like that before. This little bugger almost even looks like a ladybug. You can see the red adn what looks like some spots.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The book I am looking at doesn't have a picture much beyond this point except of the adult...FF Insects, Weeds, check it out! It's like the colors of the larva, as it pulls into an hump, blend to become the spots...Cool, huh?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh wow, how interesting...Floridian, your pics are better than his! I need to get out there and watch the tiny things in the yard more, if only I didn't have to work!

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

They're really amazing aren't they? We had loads in our carragana hedge last year. If you didn't know what they were, you would never guess ladybugs. Good pic.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I found another and posed it for some better pictures...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's one that shows the legs rolled under...I'm still amazed by this!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh wow..what is it on?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

An unknown weed...wildflower?? LOL I found it on one of my walks this weekend. Right now it's on the leaf in a jar on my windowsill. (The cats are getting big too, come get one...they come with a milkweed plant!!)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

HA, the temptress!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll keep trying...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.