Any bonsai experts????

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I bought my friend a bonsai for Christmas, a common myrtle, it is now dropping leaves like crazy, neither one of us find much info about this variety. Is it decidous??? Should it be dropping it's leaves?? she lives in an apartment, the temp is controlled by the management it's more on the warm side. She has lots of windows and great light, but the windows are quite old and drafty, she's afraid to put the tree closer to the window because of the cold air. She's great with all plants and can start anything, so we're puzzled about the bonsai. Any ideas???
Thanks,
Becky

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

BJT72, I have been trying to grow Bonsai for about 50 years but I am no expert. I have about 25 or so at the moment, mostly since it is winter they are in an unheated but insulated room off the garage. Here is what one of my books says about Myrtus, Myrtle can be kept indoors in a very bright airy location, with temp, between 40 and 50 degrees, but under no circumstances close to a heat source. Right there I think is the problem, probably too warm. I have never tried Myrtle bonsai. Also the bood says should have lower nighttime temp., and plenty of fresh air. Good Luck, Donna (RuthOlive}

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Donna,
I will give her your info this morning.

25 bonsai, not an expert!!!! **g**

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Myrtle,an evergreen half-shrub,
I have been cultivating as bonsai for years.
1.Dwarfing:
When the seedling reaches 10cm in height,
finger off the head to stimulate the stem
to produce more sub-stems.
And when the sub-stems reach 5cm in height,
finger off the heads.
Thus after the repeated fingering,a bonsai of myrtle
appears with luxuriant foliage and multiple-flowers.
2.Remoulding Main Stem:
The shortcoming of the dwarfing method is
that the bottom and head of the main stem look the same thickness.To form a pyramid ,I use 'Cutting main stem and preserving sub-stem method'.
That is,when the main stem grows enough thick,select one sub-stem from the bottom of the main stem,and then prune off the main stem,leaving the sub-stem growing instead.
In the same way,repeat prunning,until the style becomes a pyramid.
3.Exposing Roots:
Myrtle has flourish root system.Duirng the growing season,
wash off the surface soil,and let the twisted roots expose outside.
After two years' careful care,you can enjoy a myrtle bonsai with good roots,stem,foliage and flowers.
Myrtle is unhardy.in the cold winter,pay attention to cold protection.Keep dry of the soil and keep constant of the temperature.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok..., "NON~experts," does anyone have any experience with Japanese Maple? Specifically, I have two lovely 10" Beni Maiko trees in containers that I layered off of a 5~year~old grafted "mother tree" during the growing season.

Each new tree has nicely developed root systems, and attractive form from which to begin. I would like to try turning one of them into a bonsai.

Any suggestions? Books I ought to get? Sites that have credible information?

Thank you.

Adam.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Aotearoa, I have a Maple bonsai that is 25 to 30 years old, but in the process of moving 7 years ago the label was lost so I don't know which one it is. I did find out that in the summer it has to be in semi-shade, if it isn't the soil in the pot gets too hot and the leaves will burn. I almost lost it before i realized what the problem was. I have several books, one that I use quite a bit is The Complete Bonsai Handbook , by Darlene Dunton, published in 1979 so may be out of print by now. rutholive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.