pretty quiet in here!!

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi fellow canadians,

How come we are not trading??? Are we all sad about the snow and cannot bring ourselves to dare think about gardening?

Well, If you looking to trade for some seeds I would love to trade.

I have lots of normal seeds like Shasta, balloon flower, blanket flower, but have some neat stuff like:
Medusa pepper plant seeds (not positive that its medusa but about 98%)
Easter egg plant
Canna ( indian shot, I have a tonne)
Gunnera
Castor( all mixed, pink, red and green)
Clematis ( unnamed, burgandy, yellow and pink)

Would love some:
Double petunia
Dracena
annual baby's Breath

and looking for some perennials that bloom from seed the first year.

IF your not interesed, thats ok!

I have just started some of my seeds in the sunroom, usually I plant about 19 or 20 trays but kinda slow right now as I have only started 8 trays to date.
My voice is gone right now( to much talking at a dinner party) and I cannot place my seed order yet.
Rob could do it but....we I am sure you all understand why a wife would rather take care of it.LOL!!!

Chat soon
Crys

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

I have Bird House Gourd seeds ( coming out my ears) if anyone wants to try some.
Also I have Brugmansia seeds (Betty Marshall X Insignis Pink and I know they are fertile, I have over 60+ seedlings started from the pod [f they were a specila cross you 'know' they wouldn't have all come up ;)]
Have made my mind up on what to order from Dominion Seed for this year. They have a couple of interesting Brugmania in their 2003 catalogue.
I am trying some different Gourds this year and also the new ornamental Millet 'Purple Magesty'.

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

Hello,

I have my dominion catalogue right here beside me all filled out but haven't called yet since I lost my voice. Hoping to do it this week,and I am also looking at those brugs. My order will include the Varigata and Golden lady. Liz mentioned to me that exotica orange is not a recongnized type so I willnot order that one.

What are you gonna do with all those brugs?? Your gonna have to sell them from the end of your driveway, that is alot of babies!!!

I have never grown gourds, except that easter egg plant which I am sure is related.

This week i removed all the furniture from my sunroom to get ready for planting. i have a few trays started but need to put my order in so I can get rolling. Usually by the time the spring comes my sunroom looks like a jungle. I started over 100 canna from seed and last year before they could go outside they were about a foot tall, that makes a real tropical looking room :) oh how I love gardening!!!
Crys

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

I bought 6 Suavoelens 'Variegata'from Dominion Seed last year to have and share.
I have had really bad luck in the past with variegated Brugs so I did not push the 4 plants I kept myself.
They are still small but healthy.
One I shared flowered for the owner last year.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jan 8th 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by RA49
Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

I like the rich dark green these have.

Thumbnail by RA49
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Which one is the Easter egg plant? Is that limnanthes?

Limnanthes is poached egg plant. LOL

Í've got poached egg - I will always have poached egg plant. LOL So what's Easter Egg plant??

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

Hello ,

RA49, I ordered today from dominion. I only ordered one variagata and a golden lady. Plus way to many types of seeds.

Liz, I will post a pic of my easter egg plant. I do not have the proper latin name right handy.
Crys

Thumbnail by crysrob

Cool - is that a vine? Are the eggs edible? Or is that after it's been pollinated?

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

IT is a small plant maybe 12 inches and branched out a bit like tomato plants. They eggs are non edible and are hard like a boiled egg.
A little purple flower appears and that is where the egg will grow and then the white egg when mature turns yellow.
I guess that is why its nicknamed easter egg since it changes colour.

Send me your addy ( i never keep a list of them, even thought I should have it somewhere) and I will get some out to you to try.
Crys

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

Oh I forgot to mention, I was told it is an ornamental Gourd.
Crys

That would be great - thank you. That's a real novelty for me - never seen it.
edited to say that I just looked at it in the PDB - Solanum.
Neat - thanks

This message was edited Wednesday, Jan 8th 11:57 PM

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

Your welcome!
I thought it was really cute! A real conversation piece in the garden and my little boy( Griffin, he is 5) thought it was the cutest plant ever!

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

RA49, what is so difficult about the variagata brugs? I was givin a peaches and cream ( i think that is the one) by Liz last season and I killed the little thing before it even rooted.
Do you treat the 4 you have differently from other brugs or just baby them a bit more?
Crys

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

I wish I knew why I find them difficult to keep, then I could fix whatever I need to LOL.
The 4 from Dominion last year I have fertilized very sparingly with a transplant fertilizer only, up until now in the hopes that they will develop a root system to support the foliage once I feed them more this year.
I have one (P&C) that Liz was kind enough to send me a second time last summer and it too has been on my 'sparingly fertilized diet' and is doing fine this time.
I am looking forward to seeing flowers on of all these this season. ( They are receiving the same threat of banishment to the compost pile if they don't as my Ecuador Pink is!!)

What's wrong with the EP Ruth Ann?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

crysrob: I noticed that we don't have a picture of the Nest Egg gourd on the PDB. Could you post your pic here?: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54374/

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

It's the one I got from Earl in Aug. 2001 Liz.
I dropped it when planting it up last spring and broke it off 3" above the crown. The broken piece would not root for me, the stem left on the main plant sent up a new shoot, very slow to grow all last summer.
It is now 12" tall, naked after being full of aphids 3 weeks ago ( treated and gone now).
It better smarten up this season or its off my list of 'must have's and food for the compost pile!

I hope you give it a chance Ruth Ann - it's one of the most beautiful ones. And it's one of the few wildforms out there.
And it's very good for hybridizing. I hope it perks up for you once it gets back into the heat outside - it's a versicolor so likes warmer temps. Good luck.

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

weezingreens,

I would be happy too!
Crys

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, crysrob. We don't have many gourd entries in the PDB, and less pictures. It really spruces up an entry.

Crystal,

I would love some seeds for the Easter Egg plant if you have any more. I'll find something nice for you in trade.

Jeanne

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Would you 'wet coasters' like some Bird house Gourd seeds?

Well Ruth Ann - LOL - I've never grown a gourd before but I guess the easter egg plant will be a first. And I'm looking forward to it.
You Easterners are being awfully generous. What do gourds do? Creep, crawl, climb?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, I think I've led you all astray here. I should have looked closer at the pic. It's not a gourd, though there is such a thing as Egg Gourd. Go_vols caught my error. I'll come back and post the botanical name when I find it. Sorry for the confusion!

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Liz, it depends on what type you are growing whether or not you let them crawl or climb.
I let my BH gourds climb last year... 20' up to the window on the second story. This year they will climb the cedar hedge.
I am doing Swan Neck Gourds this year as well, for the first time but they can not hang down or the crook in the neck straightens out ( so I am told).they will be allowed to creap on the ground.
RA

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

Jeanne,

Oh, I should have read this thread before I mailed you the moneyorder for Monika's book.
Oh well, I sure do have some left and would glad to send you some.
I will email you.
Crystal

Thanks Crystal.

It's in the data bank and is solanum ovigerum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.