What trees and shrubs are you going to plant in 2003?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
Just curious what trees and/or shrubs everyone is planning to plant in the coming year? (might get a few ideas for my own yard)

I think I am going to plant a 'His Majesty' Cork tree and I would also like to plant Parrotia persica. Both of these trees have very decorative bark and that is something that is needed because of our long winters.

I have also become interested in the viburnums. Does anyone have any favorites in their yards that are "must haves"?
Thanks,
Mike

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Some Oxydendron/Oxydendrum (aka Sourwood), is something we plan to start from seed this year. I'd also like to get a couple deciduous magnolias (a stellata and a soulangeana), a 'Forest Pansy' redbud and a maple-leaf viburnum for the side yard.

We have a backyard with several nice-sized trees, but they were placed in a rather strange layout (almost as though they're on a grid), so we'd like to start placing younger trees and shrubs in a more natural arrangement, and as some of thees reach the end of their useful life, take them out and let the newly-established plants take their place.

I'd also like to try a Rodgersia plant, but I choke on the shipping costs from Oregon every time I open my Forestfarm catalog. Sigh....

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have some mimosas that I seeded that I will plant out. They seem pretty brittle, I had once before but it broke apart fairly easy. I have a small fringe tree that I am watching. Last year I planted what I thought was a yellow magnolia but it bloomed and it wasn't yellow from what I can see. I have the star magnolia too. I love crepe myrtles but I am having a hard time getting them going. I bought and planted one last fall and we had an unexpectated super low temp for that time of year and I am afraid it is gone, I also had a flat full of empress tree seedlings in the GH but the cold got them too. I want to try that one again.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I just got a Redbud, called 'Forest Pansy' I saw a mature specimen of this tree years ago, and I was in awe, it is so pretty..IP didn't have a place to plant one then, I do now, so I got a young tree, it is about three feet tall.
Melva

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's one I'm after too melvatoo. Haven't a lot of space left but I really would like to squeeze it in somewhere.

Apart from that I hope to be adding to my collection of Daphnes - oh, and I can never resist Cistus either, though both of these would be smaller varieties.

I also need to replace my Acacia dealbata. It flourished so much that it was cutting out all the view down the garden, so now I need to put one further away from the house. I just adore those beautiful scented flowers in February

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

In October, 2001, I was allowed to take 20 cuttings from a landmark, species flowering cherry tree. Sixteen of these survived and a few of them even flowered in Spring 2002. I moved them on to larger pots, and I'll be looking for homes for these. Depending on their viability, I hope to offer some for trade here on DG.

Potted up outside my kitchen window is a lovely Beni Maiko Japanese maple. I layered off two sections during last year's growing season and have these potted up as well. I'll be putting the "mother tree" out into my garden in April, leaving the two young'uns in their containers for another year.

Adam.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I started a fairly large number of trees/shrubs from seed this fall and more this winter. Vitex, more crape myrtle (some dwarf some full-size), my typical 50 roses from seed I hybridized myself, another 50 from seed sent me by others here at DG, three new (for me) types of Cornus (dogwood), and siberian pea tree are the more unusual things.

I will keep some, and give away others, depending on their growth.

I have many volunteer tree seedlings growing in my woodland lot, and I keep the best 5 every year, weeding out several thousand others. Many of my saplings have died in the past couple years' droughts, leaving me with fewer young trees than desired, so this year I will leave 10 seedlings. Mostly oak and hickory, but also a couple of elm and ash will be given consideration.

My dream tree is a golden weeping hemlock. I saw one at a nursery last spring ($499) and have been lusting after it ever since. I have a green one, and it is probably my favorite tree that I currently have.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I moved a few Mimosas into my yard,I live in the city so I don't get to grow alot of trees,I plan on adding some Hemlocks if I can find them,I have a Bald cypress,Dawn Redwood,and corkscrew willow,and one big oak,
So I guess my to add list is Hemlocks,more cypress,maybe a Japanese maple.:)
In the last 3yrs,we have lost 13 huge trees on my block.:(

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I went on a big internet buying spree before Christmas from ForestFarms, Arrowhead Alpines, Camelia Forest, Lazy K, Mellingers, Musser Farms, Yucca Du, and Weird Dude's Plant Zoo. Here are the trees that I have ordered:

Kalopanax pictus, Crinodendron hookerianum, Koelreutaria integrifolia, Halesia tetraptera 'Rosea', Halesia monticola 'Variegata', Heptacodium miconoides, Cotinus coggyria 'Pink Champagne', Cotinus coggyria 'Grace', Cotinus coggygria 'Velvet Cloak', Xanthocerus sorbifolia, Metasequoia glyptostroboides, Prunus mume 'Fragrant Snow', Prunus mume 'Rosebud', Prunus mume 'Josephine', Polyspora yunnanensis, Keteleeria davidiana, Keteleeria davidiana, Amelanchier laevis, Amelanchier obovalis, Amelanchier obovalis 'Jennybelle', Amelanchier asiatica, Azara microphylla, Azara microphylla 'Variegata', Cercidiphyllum japonicum, Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Strawberry', Cercidiphyllum magnificum, Cercis chinensis 'Avondale', Cercis gigantea, Cercis canadensis mexican form, Cercis yunnanensis 'Celestial Plum', Cercis silaquestrum 'Afghan Deep Purple', Acacia longifolia, Acacia mucronata, Acacia pravissima, Acacia dealbata, Cornus controversa 'Variegata', Cornus kousa 'Satomi', Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes', Cornus kousa 'Snowboy', Davidia involucrata, Prunus sargentii, Pterostyrax hispida, Stewartia monadelpha, Stewartia rostrata, Styrax wilsonii, Styrax confusum, Styrax hemsleyanum, Styrax obassia, Styrax japonicum, Styrax japonicum 'Pink Chimes', Styrax japonica 'Emerald Pagoda', Gordonia lasianthus, Physocarpus opulifolius, Castanea mollissima, Crataegus phaenopyrum, Acer rubrum, Pinus mugo, Pinus thunbergii, Sinojackia rehderiana, Distylium myricoides, Cinnamomum chekiangensis, Sophora affinis, Fraxinum cuspidata, Taxodium mucronatum, Acer sieboldianum, Acer circinatum, Acer Circinatum 'Monroe', and Acer buergerianum.

Shrubs include:

Kolkwitzia amabilis, Chaenomeles speciosa 'Toyo Nishiki', Leycesteria crocothyrosos, Lindera reflexa, Lindera megaphylla, Syringa vulgaris 'Mrs. Forrest K. Smith', Viburnum x juddii, Viburnum plicatum 'Pink Beauty', Viburnum x bodnantense 'Pink Dawn', Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Anne Russel', Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Mohawk', Viburnum 'Cayuga', Viburnum 'Chesapeake', Viburnum dentatum 'Red Feather', Viburnum 'Conoy', Viburnum x carlcephalum, Viburnum 'Cayuga', Viburnum 'Chippewah', Viburnum dilatatum 'Erie', Viburnum dilatatum 'Oneida', Viburnum x lobophyllum 'Huron', Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Lanarth', Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Watanabei', Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Roseum'/'Mary Milton', Viburnum plicatum 'Kinkaku', Viburnum x pragense, Viburnum sargentii 'Onondaga', Viburnum sargentii 'Susquehanna', Viburnum tinus 'Bewley's variegated', Viburnum acerifolium, Rhododendron 'Lemon Drop', Rhodendron 'Lollipop', Rhododendron 'Parade', Rhodendron 'Pennsylvania', Rhododendron 'Pink and Sweet', Rhodendron 'Weston's Innocense', Acer palmatum 'Seriyu', Acer palmatum 'Trompenbury', Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki', Acer palmatum 'Orangeola', Choisya ternata, Choisya ternata 'Sundance', Kalmia latifolia 'Heart of Fire', Kalmia latifolia 'Olympic Fire', Kalmia latifolia 'Ostbo Red', Kalmia latifolia 'Minuet', Kalmia latifolia 'Elf', Kalmia latifolia 'Tiddlywinks', Kalmia latifolia 'Galaxy', Kalmia latifolia 'Sarah', Kalmia latifolia 'Heart's Desire', Kalmia latifolia 'Peppermint', Kalmia latifolia 'Yankee Doodle', Kalmia latifolia 'Sarah', Callistemon salignus, Agarista populifolia, Pyracantha 'Mohave', Abutilon fruiticosa, Wilkstroemia indica, Sophora secundiflora, Sophora affinis, Cyrilla arida, Lagerstroemia fauriei 'Fantasy', Sarcococca confusa, Sarcococca hookeriana var. humilis, Sarcococca orientalis, Sarcococca ruscifolia chinensis, Sarcococca saligna, Ugnadia speciosa, Aesculus pavia, Aesculus parviflora, Cliftonia monophylla, Zenobia pulverulenta, and Cephalotaxus harringtonia var. drupacea. I will be ordering more tree peonies, camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas, and mountain laurels in the near future.

As far as viburnums recommendations go, it depends upon what you like from the following characteristics: flower, fragrance, fall color, berries, wet/dry tolerance, and evergreen/deciduous as any given viburnum is a standout in at least one of these areas. My favorite viburnum is the Doublefile viburnum 'Shasta', but it's tricky in zone 8a during the dry summers. As you can see from the list of viburnums above, I will be trying a number of different ones in the future. These all come recommended by other plantsmen, so I think it would be hard to go wrong. Study them on the internet to find out what strikes your fancy and, if you can get access to it, Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants has a number of marvelous discussions on the viburnums - they are his favorite group of shrubs. What a magnificent group of plants!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

There is an area of probably 50ft x 125ft in back area of yard that I have for the past few years trying to turn into a wild flower meadow area. I give up, mostly all i got were grasses and other weeds. So now I am going to try to make the area into a Woodland garden. On the south edge there are already growin 1 genetically dwarf peach tree, a mulberry, and a pretty much full-grown apricot. There is on the east side a flowering 3 year old cherry, and a 3 yr. Buckthorn (I think that is right name). My 8 x 10 chicken house is also in the area with its 8 x 8 chicken yard. There is a 3 yr. Lapins cherry tree on south-west side of chicken yard.

Before my house was in place 7 years ago I had planted several trees so you know trees are high on my list. Planing the woodland area is my project for what is left of winter. I've been going through my old magazines for good trees. I have a list of 14 trees, that i will have to pare down.

These are the ones I am considering:Prunus laurocerasus, English Laurel 'Mt. Vernon' zone 6 : Prunus cerasifera, cherry plum, Krauter Vesuvius : Taxodium bald cypress, there are three varieties in Forest Farm cat.:Cornus mas 'tricolor' ( I have the yellow blossom type, but this one is supposed to have very nice foliage: Acer negundo ' Kelly's Gold', I have Acer negundo 'Flamingo': Stewartia pseudocomellia: Pterstyrax, fragrant Epaulette tree: Prunus Okame: Gymnocladus, Kentucky Coffee tree: Tilia petiolarius (haven't found a source for that one yet) ; Fraxinus excelsior pendula.

Then I also have have several shrubs and some evergreens.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

TreeLover, I have quite a few Viburnums in my yard. One of my favorites i V. opulus 'Xanthocarpum' it has bright yellow fruit. It is planted next a red fruited one that without going outside in the cold and dark I don't know the name of. I also grow V. sargentii Onondaga, V. setigerum, V x.burkwoodii ( the problem with this one is the tenderness of its bloom buds to freezing, had very few blooms this past spring) one of my favorites is V x juddii. Donna

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Thanks, everyone, for all of the great ideas and for taking the time to respond to my question!

Copperbaron,
WOW, the ultimate plant order(s)! I wish I had the space you do to plant everything you ordered. In a couple of years you will have to post some pictures of your garden after everything has had a chance to settle in.

Now I have to settle down with my books and sit at the computer for quite a while so I can look up all of the great suggestions that have been given. (I would love to plant a 'Forest Pansy' Redbud, but it is not hardy in my zone (heavy sigh).

I would still love to hear from anyone who is planning to plant any trees and shrubs in 2003.
Thanks,
Mike

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I am so envious of the wonderful lists people have posted! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and our entire lot size is no more than 45x145'--and that's big out here, where lots in the city are often 25x75 or 25x100', max. Oh, well, a small lot is cheaper to plant, I just keep telling myself...

We installed a new garden all around the house last year, so 2003 is where I look at what grew well and what didn't and try to either move plants where they might do better or replace them with something else.

So far this year I've planted a red oleander standard, a 'Sango Kaku' Japanese maple, moved a pink melaleuca, and planted the following shrubs:
Mexican poppy (hunnemaria)
Plumbago
Plectranthus
Artemesia 'Powis Castle'
Ceratostigma
Thunbergia vine
'Joseph's Coat' climbing rose
'Intrigue' tree rose
(does a grass count?) variegated Calamagrostis
plus a whole bunch of plants, but it's our winter/rainy season right now so this is when we do our "spring" planting on the West Coast.

We have one unfinished section at the very back yard, about 45x50, left to do. Unfortunately it will be almost impossible to provide summer water for it, and the soil is horrible adobe clay, so our big garden project for 2003 will be to terrace and do the hardscape for this section, then plant just before the winter rains with varieties that will survive under really tough conditions. This will mean plants like ceanothus, shrub roses, bougainvillea, cestrum, mahonia, salvia, Pacific iris, and achillea; things that can survive with NO summer water. There's two big trees in that area, an ugly maple and a walnut tree, so it may be very difficult to get anything to grow near the walnut since they poison the soil. Although, of course, the ivy and blackberry vines don't seem to mind it at all! I sure wish nursery plants would grow as vigorously as the weeds do...

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

MIke:
I love my Walter's Viburnum--VIburnum obovatum. I don't think it would be too happy in your cold weather. I'm sure there are nice varieties and species that will take the cold of MN. Dogwoods are very pretty for spring flowering trees. Another of my favorite spring flowering trees is the fringetree (Chionanthus viriginicus). Redbuds are very pretty trees, too. Oh and you have crab apple trees you can plant up there. Too hot down here. I'm going to add a flowering tree of some sort in the back yard this spring. I have to get my friend to come with her pickup truck so I can get it home.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Boy, I feel like a real piker here. All I'm planning on are the native persimmon, wild plums, some damson plums if I can find them, a couple sassafrass, and an apricot or 2(probably the sweetheat one with the eatable seed). We have nearly an acre in yard and I want to get a good native fruit grove started asap. I already have 4 mulberry, one sumac, 3 black walnuts, and a small group of elderberry plants. I bought 2 PawPaw saplings last year and planted them. I do hope they do well. I remember eating them as a child. Have only had them a couple times since then.
EvaMae

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

go-vols, your letter was some time ago so don't know when you will look at Trees & Shrubs again. I have a 4 year old Forest Pansy Redbud, that so far is doing well. Also a magnolia Stellata. I planted it from a 2" deep pot four years ago it is about 3 feet tall now and should bloom nicely. I sent my orders off to Forest Farm, Greers, Plants Delights, Siskiyou and Arbor Village.(I did order Tilia petiolarius from them, thanks to you) I'm sure i will about have a heart attack when I get my VISA bill!! The shipping is bad from all of them, I don't think much worse for Plants Delights. I ordered 4 five gallon size trees from FF, but told them I plan to pick them up May 2 or 3 at their place. My daughter is coming out May 1, I will pick her up at Spokane airport and we will drive on down to Oregon. If all goes well. Donna

Donna, I had this in my "watched thread" list so I got the alert there was a new post - I'm so happy for you!!!

I have yet to get my order into ForestFarm - guess I better get a move on, huh? (That's great that you can pick yours up!)

Evamae, your list is similar to what we have, and I'll tell on myself: we've lived here going on three years, and we didn't realize we had a black walnut until last fall - I guess it didn't bear the first year, or we didn't happen to look up (or down) anywhere near this tree.

The first year we had wild plums, apples crabapples and grapes running out our ears; last year, we had only a few apples - must have been one of those late cold snaps that got everything else :(

Olympia, WA

I didn't have this in my plan - but when I found two 8 ft tall Shiro plum trees full of buds and for $15.00 each, I had to adopt them both!!!!!! They are in the ground and already deer fenced! I don't generally "have" a plan, but live and grow rather serendipitously!!!!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd like to get some chokecherry seeds. I use to make jelly out of them when I lived up north. I'm gathering rose of sharon seeds, I hope they're easy to start. They have pretty flowers that start out white and turn blue. But I'm going to dig up some of the volunteers out in the yard to take with me. I'm going to try rooting cuttings of the wisteria and lilac's out back. This will be a first for me, I've not done much in the way of shrub or tree cuttings.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Terry,
Most apples bear heavily every other year. You can even out the amount of fruit you get every year by reducing the amount of fruit the tree matures in the heavy years. Just go in and remove about half of the fruit that forms after flowering. If you have a large tree this may not be possible, but if you have a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree it shouldn't be a problem. By doing this the fruit that matures will be larger and you will get a good flowering the following year, too.

Well, I've changed my mind on the Cork Tree. I have ordered a Prairie Titan-R Kentucky Coffee Tree from Klehm's Song Sparrow Nursery in Wisconsin. I love the bark on the coffee trees and Prairie Titan is a male tree so there won't be any pods to deal with. I also purchased one of the new variegated Pagoda Dogwoods that they are selling - Cornus alternifolia 'Golden Shadows'. A beautiful plant. Here is a link to the Song Sparrow site if you would like to see a picture:

http://www.songsparrow.com/

Select "Woody Plants" from the menu on the left side of the screen (listed under 2003 Catalog), then click on the "26-50" in the "browse 223 woody plants" at the top or bottom of the screen.

Song Sparrow has some unusual plants, but most are quite small. This is the first nursery I have seen that has offered a cultivar of Kentucky Coffee Tree. Kentucky Coffee trees are difficult to propagate asexually (I guess). From seed they are easy, but then you take your chances on what sex of tree you will get (the trees are dioecious). The male trees tend to be more upright while the female tree are a little more broad and spreading. Kentucky Coffee trees cast light shade so it is easy to grow grass or other plants under them and they are deeply rooted.
Mike

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, Copperbaron must really be a Copper Baron to afford all those plants in one year. Also he must have a lot of land. I am surprised to see him ordering rhoderdendrons and mountain laurel is such a warm climate. How do they do there?
I only have one in mind now. It's called Mexican Anise, Illicium "Aztec Fire". Wayside says it is an evergreen shrub for shade, which I need. Here's their promo.."Rich green foliage year-round and vivid deep violet red blooms all summer on a shade-loving plant. A superior selection with huge, 2-inch, star-shaped flowers much larger and more richly colored than the species. 7 feet tall and 6 feet wide, Zones 6-9.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm going to close my eyes and hand over the visa to get a Edgeworthia chyrsantha (Chinese Paper Bush) It took a long hard search to even locate one, so I'm really going to enjoy it.

Thumbnail by Carena

Funny how things change between January and March, huh?

Okay, I stuck with the deciduous Magnolias ('Leonard Messel' and 'Susan') and the Viburnum acerifolium. But add to that a couple Caryopteris, a Weigela ('Wine and Roses'), a Viburnum dentatum, Amelanchier (Serviceberry), a couple Hydrangeas, a Callicarpa and a native Azalea....oh, and a 'Pink Lemonade' Honeysuckle and a Clematis texensis :)

Sigh....

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

treelover, Ididn't realize that Kentucky Coffee tree, we are talking about Gymnocladus dioicus, aren't we. I didn't stop to think that dioicus meant either sex, stupid me. I ordered one from Forest Farm and plan to pick it up the first part of May. FF doesn't say male or female, so I suppose I will get a female one. I may call them and ask. I made a large order to FF, for trees and shrubs for my new woodland garden area. The order except for the 4 in 5 gal. pots that I will be picking up, came Thursday. 31 plants and or trees in all, So i have been really busy. Got all the 24 trees and shrubs in gal. pots planted (I'm tired!!) Donna

baton rouge, LA(Zone 9a)

Hello! I just saw a pussy willow tree at the nursery. Very odd looking, with cascading woody branches and the little pussy feet on them. Wasn't sure whether or not I liked it though it would make a good conversation piece. Anyone out them have any experience with this????

I have coveted the weeping pussywillows that are trained as a standard - I think they're a wonderful specimen plant.

Don't own one, though - the price tag made me hyperventilate, lolol!

baton rouge, LA(Zone 9a)

I agree, the price was a trifle upsetting to say the least! I will look for it again and see if there are any left. I may buy it still. We may have to eat hamburger for a month, though!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Donna,
Wow, you have been busy. Just think of how great your landscape is going to look in a few years, after it has a chance to mature a little. Get out a chair, a tall, cool drink of your choice and sit back and admire your work. You deserve some rest!

The Kentucky Coffee trees, Gymnocladus dioicus, that Forest Farm is selling are seed grown trees so they won't know the sex. One of our local nurseries had a few KC trees last year that were blooming and they were all females so I didn't buy one. If the trees are blooming they will be able to sex the trees. If you pick the trees up, do you get to choose your own tree? If the trees are not in bloom there is no way to sex them. You have a 50/50 chance of getting a male tree. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks,
Mike

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Terry -- how did your Weigela 'Wine and Roses' do? I am thinking about getting some for spring.

Thanks!! :)

Alyssum, it was pretty small, so it's still potted up. It's in the GH - hoping it'll be big enough to be planted out next year (and not risk being run down with the lawnmower!)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

When I went to FF, and we had a hard time finding their location, all but 2 of the trees were waiting to be loaded. So while they were getting the other two my daughter and I spent and agreeable and expensive hour in their greenhouses buying plants!!

So until the Kentucky Coffee tree blooms i won't know what it is.

I do plan to order some more trees and shrubs since i still have quite a bit of space to fill out on my north bank for wind break, after cutting down the 35 poplars and shredding them. Donna

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

In 2003 I planted one Nyssa sylvatica (AKA Black Gum or Tupelo or pepperige) one Crab apple, whose cultivar name I forgot, and one witch hazel (H. pallida).
I would like to plant one Cornus mas and some Clethra and some Ilex verticilata and an Enkianthus would be nice so would a Styrax japonicus.

had to correct a typo

This message was edited Jan 9, 2004 9:26 AM

Limerick, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm just cramming my tiny lot with plants - after a few years off from any serious gardening.

This fall and winter I've already planted three Mountain Laurels (Kalmia latifolia), several Partridgeberry (Mitchella repens, a subshrub), several Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens, a subshrub), a Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana), an Elderberry (Sambucus nigra, subsp. canadensis) a christmas tree type Rosemary (Romarinus officianalis - looks dead now), and a Flame Azalea (Rhodendron calendulaceum).
I have the last little Mountain Laurel from the local Frank's nursery in a pot outside.
But for the near future: I'll get rid of 3 Holly shrubs (Ilex xMeserveae). I'm looking for Box Huckleberry (Gaylussacia brachycera), Creeping Snowberry (a subshrub, Gaultheria hispidula), maybe American Holly (Ilex opaca). I have seeds to start for Mounain Laurel, Great Rhododendron (Rhododendron maximum), and Virginia Rose (Rosa virginiana). If I actually get seedlings I'll have to give almost all of them away.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2004 10:12 AM

This message was edited May 24, 2004 2:06 PM

Wadena, MN(Zone 3b)

I'm seeking help from any and all to locate seedlings, specifically,of RHODODENDRON MAXIMUM var RED RIVER.
Maximum is one of the few which will take my climate, and I need reds in particular.

I'd appreciate any advice or contacts.

Kent

Here are some places to try looking for R. maximum; you can probably contact each of them by email to see if they have the red variety; if not, they may know of a source that does...

Triple Oaks: http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/1955/
Elk Mountain: http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/124/
Van Veen: http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/1454/
Shooting Star Nursery: http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/1227/
Fa C. Esveld: http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/3015/ (this one is a "last resort" only because of their location - the Netherlands ;o)

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

I have a small backyard, and need a tree. I am looking at a redbud, a desert willow or a mexican plum. The forest pansy redbud sounds very appealing...I am only a little worried about too much shade over my roses and some perennials eventually...

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

How about 2004?

I finally ripped out my ugly dying cedar bushes (with my husbands van - he is proud of that) last weekend. We bought Abelia Grandiflora 'Sunrise' to replace them and they are going in this weekend. I wanted to get Spiraea bumalda 'Goldflame', but my husband insisted on something evergreen. They are in front of Burford Holly bushes that are almost 5 feet tall. I also bought and planted a espaliered Camellia Japonica 'Scentsation' last weekend. I should be getting a Umbrella Palm from a swap in April for an area in my yard that has bad drainage.
I have a small lot - 60 x 130, but there are quite a few things shrubs I have thought about getting, but I don't have room for all of them. I want a Japanese maple to put close to the shade of my 2 Live Oaks in the back yard. I want an Oak Leaf Hydrangea and a sweet olive too. I have about 40 mature Frasier Photinia's against all fence sides in my backyard. Some are starting to look pretty bad. The ones against the back fence are dropping almost all thier new red leaves and half of them have leaves with black spots. I might have room before I know it - a mixed blessing.

I have also looked at a Saucer Magnolia or other tree (has to get no more than 12 feet wide) to go between my neighbor's and my driveway.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Pamela, I would go with the Desert Willow as it grows fast. Tereasa has one, ask her about it. I have a Mexican Plum and it is a nice tree, it is about six years old and it is about ten feet tall I bought it on Ebay and it was just a twig. This is the first year that it has bloomed...it hasn't produced fruit, but I bet it will this year, as I understand it, the fruit is edible, but it is really more for the wildlife.

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking that the Desert Willow would be the best choice for that area too, although I sure love the redbuds!! If I start collecting trees I will have all shade on my tiny lot. I already have a 'Bubba" Desert Willow, it has the dark burgundy blooms, and it is in a temporary spot at the moment. I guess I will move him to that spot. When do you think a safe time to transplant him would be? Now or best to wait till fall? I'll have to ask Teressa about hers.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Now might be a good time to move it, before it gets hot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.