Small Foxglove, Straw Foxglove (Digitalis lutea)

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

My plant - 9.8.2002

Common name: Small Foxglove, Straw Foxglove
Family: Scrophulariaceae
Genus: Digitalis
Species lutea

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/747/

Thumbnail by Evert
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Evert, looks like your D. lutea did quite well this year! I started some last spring, so I'm hoping they winter over so I can get some blooms next summer. I have about 54 plants, so I'm sure some of them will survive! Nice shot!

Yes, it grew very tall and bloomed for a long time, and produced tons of seeds! I really like this plant.

I hope your small plants grow big and bloom like mine.. I have better pic somewhere, on some cd, I can post that one too.

Wish I had a place like you, for growing all the plants. I am really waiting for the spring, I have lots of different kinds of seeds and really would like to get rid of them = get beautiful plants ;)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Evert: Why not build yourself a plant stand with fluorescent lights? We were just discussing this on the other thread: http://davesgarden.com/t/370359/#new There is a link for the website instructions in one of my posts there. It takes up so little space, and it gives you 12- 16 flats of plants to start in the spring!

Yes I saw that post. I would build one - but where? that's the problem. I have a cool plant stand for my indoor plants, where I can grow something, but it isn't enough. And I have a long windowsill in the garage but it isn't very good place to take care of the plants. That's why I mostly have to sow outdoors.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These stands take up about the same space as a dresser or a bookcase, and they can be disassembled and put away in the summer months.

Where do I keep them when I have something growing on them? That's what I meant ;)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You'd need a space approximately 24"deep x 48"wide x 60" high. You only need access this from one side, so it could rest against a wall, much like a bookcase. If you don't have room for it, then I guess it wouldn't work out for you. It's just so much fun to watch everything popping up out of the ground while the rest of the world is white.

Well, I could take it to our stockroom, if we would clear places there a little, it would be cool enough for the small plants.. Or then I need a greenhouse :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, greenhouses are wonderful. I use mine from the first of April until early fall. However, I must keep it heated until May, and I'm afraid our winter days would still require artificial lighting in there. The stand allows me to get the plants started and the greenhouse allows them to grow bigger until I can set them out.

I've always wanted a hot tub room with a tile floor and drains. I would use greenhouse materials like Lexan for the roof and upper walls, and would include a sink and a mister hose. If attached to the house, it would stay warm enough for tropicals, and the mister would allow cooling after the hot tub and additional moisture for plants. And, when the cover is on the tub, it would really help germinate those seeds in flats, wouldn't it?

Wish I had one. Or a green-room.

:)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

One day I am sure you will have a greenhouse, greenroom, greenworld that all of us will marvel over, Evert, and you'll deserve it.

Hmm.. perhaps. I'm just thinking of the electricity bill, of all the warming ;)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've read that Iceland has volcanic heat that can be used for heating greenhouses. Could you find yourself a hot spring or volcano? ;)

Maybe if I move to Iceland?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Evert, move to Iceland and build a greenhouse next to a volcano.... you'll lava it! LOL.

Nah, I don't like their climate.. The lupines there would make me feel like at home ;)

I've been thinking to buy a greenhouse. I could pay a half of it and ask it for a birthday present or something :}

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, a greenhouse would certainly open lots of new gardening experiences for you! Is it your intention to use it year round or just to propagate in the spring?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.