It's SNOWING

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I realise for a lot of you this is nothing remarkable, but it doesn't happen often these days down in the SE corner of England, so I just had to take a pic :)

Thumbnail by philomel
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Yep...it's snowing here in Birmingham too.
Marigold.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

no snow here thank goodness!!! please keep it down your end :))

It's 3C, 75% humidity and sunny here :)

Yes it's amazing the difference a couple of hours makes - blue sky, sunshine and 3C here now

Thumbnail by philomel
Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

WOW! x)

Glad you got real winter weather, at least for a day... ;)

Less than that Evert, a couple of hours? I think there was enough to make a snowball....................thud.
But not to make a snowman or go sledging :(

Oh, I'm so sorry for you. Hope you still get more. *G*

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

here is much snow and very cold.....-22C (-7.6F)....

Same here ;) -23 C (-9.4 F)

Do you use Fahrenheit or Celsius in UK?

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Evert

Old fogies like me use Fahrenheit (we understand that 65oF is a cool British Summer and anything over 75oF is tropical). But the kiddies are taught Celsius.

That's why, when my wife kidnapped me and took me to Cyprus last August (!) and my little daughter warned me it was 30oC in the shade, I put some warm cardigans in my suitcase.

It seems 30oC is actually closer to 90oF...

Isn't metrication a wonderful thing?

Yes, unfortunately for John the weather forecast tend to be in Celsius these days, though often the "old money" may be mentioned.
Think I must fall between the two now, not sure if I have a good picture of either - except Celsius is easier when the temp's around freezing LOL

I see... It really makes things confusing when people in UK and US use different measuring units than us. And Fahrenheit. I know something like, that 32 is 0, 90 is close to 30, and 70 us around 20 or something. And -40 is -40 ;)

You do use miles there, right? How about other units? Do you use litres, kilograms, decilitres, like we do? Or Gallons and pints etc.

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

>Do you use litres, kilograms, decilitres, like we do? Or Gallons and pints etc?

Yes, we use both.

In a pub, you will get a pint of beer. (Don't ask for a litre - they don't have the right glasses for it. Yet.)

But at a petrol station, you buy petrol in litres. This makes it impossible to work out the price per gallon. (The only way I can understand the price.)

New EC rules mean that UK butchers and greengrocers have to price everything in kilos, or face three months in prison. This makes life impossible for old folk, who don't understand kilos. And who just want "half a pound of sausages".

We use double measurements, for everything. Alas.

Unlike metricated currency, which I can understand (it works un computers), metricating other values has proven grossly counter-productive in the UK. (But, of course, that's just my opinion!)

Here you also don't buy beer in litres, you can ask for a "tuoppi" of beer in a pub.. the size varies.

I only understand the petrol price in litres, it's very expensive here, around 1 €/l right now.

That might be easier for tourists anyway, when the prices are in kilos too, as I would have no idea if it would be in pounds...

We used two currencies here last Jan-March :)

I have asked this from several people, but none of them has known it. Why is the pound abbrevation "lbs"??

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Evert,
The abbreviation is from the Latin for pound, "libra".

This comes from the Latin "librare", to balance or "libratus" meaning scales.

It came into use about the 14th Century in Britain when weights were beginning to be standardised at 16 ounces to the pound.

By the way, the plural for 'lb' is 'lb' NOT 'lbs'

OK? ;-)

Wintermoor

This message was edited Saturday, Jan 4th 1:59 PM

Thanks

I see, I've always seen it written lbs everywhere - not my fault...? =)

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

It's been snowing here too, quite cold now. The snow is not very thick but I did manage to skid in the car and nearly ended up in the hedge. Such fun living on a bank whoops..........

Thumbnail by Southmede

Evert I've seen lbs a lot too, so not your fault :)
A lot of British people get it wrong...

Southmede, glad you're safe. Just practising were you? Is that your driveway? (Very posh ;)

When I was at school we were taught imperial and metric, we all came out not knowing anything about weights and measures because it's almost impossible to compare the two in a fairly simple fashion. Kilos, grams and litres are easier to understand but I still cook in oz and lbs!

My uncle called me somthing really quite innappropriate a couple of years ago when I asked how much 5 bob was. I felt I had to point out that since I was born after decimalisation and it really wasn't my fault!

WM

Interesting about pound and lb, libra was also a weight now called the Roman lb which confusingly is about 3/4 of an Imperial lb :D

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

That's right BAA, the lb is a bit smaller..... but to get back to your story about the 5 Bob ... there's a great wee story about an old Glaswegian who goes into a chip shop, and he orders "Four pokes of chips, please"
The lassie serving says " That'll be one pound eighty please".
The auld guy stands and looks at her and laughs.
The girl says, "Have ye no' got enough money, Mister?"
"Och aye hen, Ah've goat the money alright, it's just that, Ah've jist been thinkin, one pound eighty fur four wee pokes o' chips... that's aboot a-pound-sixteen bob in the auld money, an' Ah kin remember when ye couldnae even carry chips fur a-pound an sixteen" :-D

Were those the days?

Wintermoor

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

LOL wintermoor. thanks for the New Year message.

we had no snow yesterday but the therometer didnt rise above 1C.

and what a difference a day makes. it's -6.5 just as I left for work at 10am. half an hour earlier it was only -6!!

My Strelitzia in the greenhouse is most likely dead :-(

Why didn't you take your Strelitzia in? Or heat the greenhouse? =)

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

i didnt know it would be -6 last night. our weather forecast showed the east coast of England to get that low and us to be -2

Never trust the forecasts. http://www.yle.fi/saakuvat/kuvat/isokartta.jpg

even if somebodys life depend on that! hehheh!

Well, never trust the forecasts that much ;)

Your climate isn't always so warm as you may think..hrrhmm *G*

when I hope that forecasts looks wrong they looks right and when I hope that they look right they look wrong.....example, "tomorrow we go to swim", forecast looks that tomorrow weather is fine +29C and dry........but there is not that, there`s raining!

Last year was really dry, or, most of the rain came in June, when we were abroad. When we came back, we had hot sunny weather all the time ;) It hasn't even snowed much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.