What in the world?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Any idea what this critter is?? It has big eyes, like a bee and even though I see no wings I'd almost swear it flew away after I set it on the ground. Something did anyway! LOL

This message was edited Monday, Dec 30th 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by Floridian
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It looks like the larvae of a ladybug!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Sue!! It is truly amazing how much some insects change as they mature.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

My honey suckle that's always infested with aphids was loaded with these this past summer. Of course it was after the aphids made a mess & practicly destroyed it. The larva are really creepy looking when there's a bunch of them! DH bought me a ladybug house for Christmas. I'm anxious to see how it works. The laybug "lure" actually gives off the scent of aphids and that's what supposed to draw them in. I'm wondering if it's also going to attract more aphids???

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Mating call of the aphids in your ladybug house??!! How funny! These larvae are particulary fearsome looking...good thing they're so small. Do they fly or did I see something else?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't think they have wings at this stage.... they're just creepy and crawling. I should have paid better attention while they were here to see how they change into the beetle. Seemed like they just disapeared after a couple of weeks. The vine was such an eyesore I chopped it down when they where gone.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

One of the bug guys at Ohio State University says every year they get calls from people freaking out about the "little alligators", as some call them. They are terrible looking things!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Little alligators...what a hoot! I will admit to being a bit leery of this bug when I reached out to pick him off my knee, but it climbed right onto my finger then off into the grass...Whew! ;-)

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks like a ladybug larvae to me, too. You want to keep him around. He's a good bug :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.