Butterfly Hatchery

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

This one started in another thread in the forum...
I love b-flies and occassionally would take them inside to raise them. I've kept them in jars and plastic containers, but the plants would always wilt and the poo would pile up. Sometimes the jars weren't big enough for them to properly dry their wings...so I decided to make a home for these guys where none of that would be a problem. First, I'll show you what it looks like, then tell you what I used if you want to make your own...

Thumbnail by ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's what I used to make this:
1 yard of nylon tulle/netting
1, 10 inch plastic embroidery hoop
1, 9 inch disposable aluminum pie pan
~24 inches of fabric-covered wire (available in bridal floral sections)
small pebbles (like those used in fish tanks)

Put the nylon netting around the inner part of the embroidery hoop and secure it between the inner and outer hoops by tightening the thumbscrew on the outer hoop. Make sure there is a little overlap between the two edges of the netting (about 2 inches is sufficient--more than that will make it hard to access the hatchery to add food and remove the butterfly). Leave about 8 inches of netting sticking above the hoop. Secure the top of the netting with about 12 inches of the wire, making a loop with it to hang the hatchery from. Gather the bottom netting about 12-24 inches from the embroidery hoop and secure with a small piece of wire. Place the pie pan in the bottom and fill with about 1 inch of gravel. Add a sturdy stick for the caterpillar to attach it's chrysalis. When you have a caterpillar in the hatchery, add water to the pie pan to just below the top of the gravel. That allows you to take a large cutting of the host plant into the hatchery and keep it alive for several days. When the butterfly hatches and it's wings are fully dried, take the assembly outside, and carefully part the seams so the butterfly can fly away.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That looks easy, I think I can do that! Thanks BG!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Your welcome, weeds! Hope it works out for you. Shouldn't cost you more than ~$5 (unless you get fancy with the pebbles).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.