Thoughts of owning a fireplace, Dec 15

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I think that God puts us in certain parts of the country for a reason. He knows what he is doing, no doubt about it.

My thoughts turn to a cajun owning a fireplace. Somehow the word 'fireplace' should not even be in the same sentence as 'cajun'and 'South Louisiana'. Same thing with socks and shoes. Kinda like water and oil, they just don't mix well.

My attempt to have a nice cozy fire going seem to be fruitless. Much to my dismay my fires leave the family gasping for air and running outside in sub zero temps...ok, so they are not sub zero to most folks, but to us 50* just a'soon be freezing. Pictures of my daughter and I huddled for warmth on the back steps come to mind as we gasp for a breath of fresh, smokeless air. This morning proved no different. I woke up very early, around 5 a.m. and could not go back to sleep. I figured that I'd get up, enjoy the quiet, fix coffee, light a fire and turn on the puter..relax--down time for mom (me). I tip toed down the stairs, being careful not to wake anyone up. I started the pot of coffee...ahhhh, this is going to be nice. We went to church last night, so I knew no one would be in a hurry to wake up this a.m. I walked over to the fireplace....should I? Should I tempt fate and try yet one more time to have a fire...? Why yes, why not...after all, it is a chilly morning this morn and it would be so nice to have a crackling fire. I dared fate. I tossed care into the wind as I sip on my hot coffee. I bend down to do the unthinkable...light a fire. Is the flue open?...yep, I opened it, ok..safe. I carefully place the ill fated logs on the fire and put my starter blocks in. STRIKE...the match is has been lit. Oh boy, a nice fire...nope, once again..overcome by smoke.(yes, the chimney is clean, free from obstructions) The first puff of smoke fills the house. I run to open up all the doors. Trying my best to fan out the smoke before the it floats in a heavy cloud upstairs..to late. Smoke finds its way up for some reason, defying gravity. There goes the smoke alarm...ear exploding sounds fill the house. I can't get the alarm to stop. The ringing goes on for what seems to be half and hour or so. It is right by the bedroom doors.SHOOOTZ! I fan the smoke alarm franticly, trying to get it to stop. It is no use..kinda like my cats and most family members, the alarm has a mind of its own. I am convinced the alarm is wanting to wake up the family. I push open the bedroom door, exclaming to my husband.."I can't get it to stop"..not a word comes from him. I am wondering at this point if he is over come by smoke--I check for signs of life and there is snoring..*whew* that man can sleep through anything. Somehow no one wakes up to witness this ill fated attempt to once more have a fire. My attempts have left me with headaches and lung-aches. Not to mention the lovely smells of a fresh forest fire brought indoors. So, here I sit...freezing because all the doors are open to air out the house, the fire is slowly burning, but at least no more smoke is going in the house.

There are 2 things a cajun shouldn't own, one is a fireplace, the other is a box turtle--that is a story for another day. Have a great day all, as I am counting my blessings that I can hear the birds singing outside because all the windows and doors are open. And unlike poor Mary...I can hear birds singing year round..*smile*

This thread has 43 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!