My greenhouse collapsed :( My fault or?????

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

Luckily its not freezing until tommorow night... Hubby says its because I left the door open??? I don't have any vents. Greenhouse is 12x24 wood base, and pvc on top, the pvc on one end snapped and broke shot throught the side took out my plastic on the side and all of the sides blew off at the bottom only,,, so we have alot of attatching to do tommorow, we used a staple gun before, any better suggestions for the repairs tommorow ????? DO you guys think my leaving the door open would have caused wind to build up inside and blow it out like that???

Katrina

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

we used trimming cheap 1"x2"'s to hold on the plastic. it is very easy for the wind to blow and rip the staples out. we built a half hoop attached to the gh. made out of pvc. what dh did was on the under or inside he wired the 1x2 to the pvc then on the ouside we layed the plastic then 1x2 and screwed them together. come spring we will unscrew the wood and roll up the plastic and hopefully be able to use it again. i wish i could take a picture but my camera is in the shop i really miss it.

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

Will mention this to DH to see what he thinks that sounds like a great idea!!! I could pick some up on the way home from work!!

Katrina

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

After the film was stapled to the wooden frame of my GH we also screwed laths(thin 1" wood strips) over it.It would also help if you had some kind of vent opening on the opposite end from your door so the air can move through your GH.

Mason, MI

Vents on both ends really help.
We attached our GH's film by
stretching it over the frame,
then rolling each side around some 2x2's.
Then we screwed those into the lower wall.
We live on a windy hill,
and this method has worked (and held up well)
for several years
now.
Good luck with your GH,
and happy holidays!
OD :-)

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

farmgirl has the right idea. i learned way back that if you secure the plastic over with strips it last along er time. as for pvc top i havenever done that one. mine is 2x4 all over. now covered in panels but when we used plastic it was hard to cover that top. i have a hot bed cover done with hooped pvc. the man who built them used a router to indent when the pie fit so that it could not slip out. so far 4 yrs later so good.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We put the plastic on our new greenhouse the other day. We used wiggle wire. This was a used greenhouse that we bought and a bunch of wire came with it, so have no idea what it costs, but probably wouldn't matter for it is an excellant product. Easy to use and will never let go of the plastic.
Bernie

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Bernie, What is wiggle wire and how does it hold the plastic on?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's a channel about 1 1/2" wide & a special wire. You mount the channel on your frame, lay the plastic over it & snap the wire in to hold it. Most kinds can hold 2 or 3 layers. All your greenhouse frame companies have it. A catalog I received yesterday had it listed for $.86 / linear ft.
Bernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Bernie, did you put on a double layer? Mine is two layers inflated with a fan...it really needs to be replaced SOON. (I cross my fingers whenever high winds and snow/ice is predicted!)
When we put it on some yrs back we had to put each layer on separately. However, I remember reading/hearing a while ago someone sells plastic that comes "layered" already so you only have to throw it over the ghouse once. (And trust me, w/a 1500 sq ft ghouse, 13 ft high at the peak, that really helps!)
Question: Ever seen a source for this kind of plastic? I can't seem to find who sells it. Many thanks.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They call it tube plastic. We get it from L & G Products in Iowa. 800-274-6810. Any greenhouse supplier should have it. Get it close to home to save on freight bill, the stuff is heavy. With wiggle wire you can put one layer at a time. The channel will hold three layers and the wire for each.
We use ropes to pull our plastic over the house. Three of them on our 30X96 house. I agree it is a lot of work.
Good Luck
Bernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Bernie. I'll check into it. Maybe can find a web site or something.
Much obliged.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here is a close-up of wiggle wire.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Thanks for posting the picture Bernie. I've never seen this before. I have my plastic stapled to the bottom 6"x6" timbers and then screwed wooden lathes over that. This WW may be an option as I'm sure in time the lathes will rot from the moisture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.