Caterpillar competition

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I tried to ask this in one of the other threads, but the question didn't come through. I either read or heard that the Zebra Longwings and Gulf Fritillary caterpillars have eliminated interspecies competition by feeding on different parts of the passion vines. I have always found frit cats on the tips of the vines where all the new growth is--this supposedly prevents some predation by the ants nectaring on the vines as there is no nectar there yet for the ants to feed on. I have never seen zebra cats on the growing tips like that. They are always on older parts of the vines. Anyone know more about this?

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I didn't know about the different parts of the vine, I sure will look for that next summer though.
I do know that the Zebra Longving prefer vines growing in shady areas and the Gulfs want to be in the sun.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Did not know that they had light preferences.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well I do know that I don't have zebras and my gulf frits ate my entire plants! down to the bone (vine)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Arlene will come by here eventually, she has tons of both ZLW and GFs. She also has vines that get eaten down to bare bones. Maybe this spring we'll just invite ourselves up to see her place. It's lovely, flutters and hummers galore!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

If you run out of food, send them over here! I've never had problems with too little passionvine :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.