Golden Chain Tree Question

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

My mother has a very young Golden Chain Tree, sister bought it thru Michigan bulb last year, well it grew straight up and had leaves on it last year but it is just a straight twig, with no branches on it, again this year it done the same thing straight up with no branches, my question is how can she get it to branch out?? does she need to cut it back so it will get bushy?? Sis told her to cut it back but she's not sure when and how to do so...WE NEED HELP!!! please. any info would help us alot.
Thanks mollybee

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Best info that i can offer is DON'T BUT FROM MICHIGAN BULB

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

HA HA VERY FUNNY!!! BUT I still need help with this tree.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Mollybee,
Ah, the elusive Laburnum! I had a thread about this tree and my hitting the "jackpot" in finding the seed. From what I remember reading, with no growing experience on my part except for Spring 2001 germination, these trees require little pruning. They gain some vertical height, then start spreading horizontally to eventually gain the weeping shape. The general rule with trees is never to topcut. The Laburnum would benefit from some light pruning after it's done flowering soon, though. The tree tends to bleed heavily if pruned when not dormant or beyond the post-flowering period. I did hear that removing the seeds prior to winter will help the tree to conserve energy for a better blooming period the following Spring.
Trish

This message was edited Monday, May 21st 7:32 PM

This message was edited Monday, May 21st 7:35 PM

http://www.davesgarden.com/showthread/10298.html
Here's the link to the thread I mentioned. For some reason, I couldn't add it when editing the former post.
Trish

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

sorry MOLLYBEE...i didn't mean to be sarcastic. i've just had absolutely awful luck with that company and couldn't offer any help with your question. I apologize for the sarcasm. it wasn't meant to be that way
Sandy

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks a Million Trish.. I just called my mother and she said that my sister told her to go ahead and cut it back. she didn't say how much she cut back but how much do you think would be too much?? And I myself have been that same route with trying to get the seeds thru trades. I had 3 different trades that claimed to be Laburum and when I started comparing them to each other one trade looked nothing like the others, Do you think it is too late to start my seeds (I'm in zone 8) and also are they considered to be slow growers or med growers?? like if I start my seeds now, how well do you think they would do this year?? also should I direct seed these outside or inside?? I know sooo many questions here but I really need help!! mollybee

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

That's OK Sandy, no hard feelings here, I have never had any bad luck with M bulb Co. but I have read where ALOT of folks have. I can understand your thoughts about that Co.
My sister is the one who bought the tree for her and she loves that Co. So I guess to each his own. But again NO HARD FEELINGS HERE Ü :)
I guess WE both miss-read the post huh??
Friends?? Ok Friends :)
Toodles
Mollybee

Hi Mollybee,
As far as the Laburnum seeds, I have "hundreds" now..lol. The seeds are a brownish kidney-shaped. Many people get them confused with the Golden Rain Tree seeds, which are blackish and round like Canna seeds. If you'd like some Laburnum seeds for a SASE, feel free to email me.
The Laburnum seeds that I started this year seem to be pretty fast growers. They're up about 12 inches already. You can start them now (they don't require stratification - a cold period) but they do need to be chipped and soaked to start growing. They germinate in 30-60 days in 65-70 degree temps, well-drained soil, planted 1/16 inches down. I personally wouldn't start them too late in the season, since they would start germinating then you'd have winter upon you. Make sure you mulch them well for the winter and have them supported with a stake or something. They're a bit floppy when young.
Trish

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Trish, well I just dumped out my 3 different seed packs and sure enough I have the black ones and some are light brown and the other is dark brown. the light brown seeds are marked as laburnun watetetii?? and the dark brown seeds are marked as laburnun sp. the black seeds are marked as laburum?? since the spelling on the black seeds is different could they be something totally different? I guess I will go ahead and start some of all of them but you did say they had to "be chipped" you mean like with a razor blade or something and just snip off a tiny piece of the seed because they are soo little I don't want to mess them up. I will go now and try this, and I'll surely keep in touch with you about them. Thanks for ALL your help.
you are a lifesaver!!
Mollybee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.