Just a thought on decorating...

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

This is my first time in this particular forum in Dave's Garden.
I grew Birdhouse Gourds this year for the first time.
I have no talent as far as painting goes so I decorated mine a totally different way.
I found tissue paper with sweet little designs on it ( birds, garden themes etc. and used it to decoupage on the gourds. They turned out beautifully and were quick to do.. With the same tissue paper you can get different items to highlight on it by changing the background color on the Gourd that you are applying it over.
A couple of coats of shellac would seal them for outdoor use I imagine.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome RA49!! That is a great idea...I think I will do one like that. you will love it here...everyone is great!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Hello and 'Welcome" RA49!
vredfish is right, You'll will love it here! Excellent people here! Nice idea that you have, I haven't tried tissue paper yet.
I had a post with idea's that I've tried to which I put a hyper link for you ~>http://davesgarden.com/t/365313/ ( I'm no talented painter either) So maybe the link could help give you some ideas if your intersted in looking.
If you get the chance and feel like posting a pic of what you've done with your gourds, It would be great, I'd love to see how they look!

Crossville, TN

Welcome Ra49...you will feel right at home here in no time. farizon bought me a buffalo gourd made into a tree ornament that was decoupaged with tissue paper...really nice! I may try that with some of mine. Jo

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the warm welcome.
You guys are so baddddd! I feel a new addiction coming on to go along with my Brugmansia addiction LOL.
I live in Canada and our growing season is too short to bring the gourds to maturity unless I start them early in the house.
I think I can see a jungle in my near future!
Your gourds are beautiful and your talents awesome. :)
I have already mailed my finished ones out as Christmas gifts so perhaps when I get others done, I will struggle to learn how to use my new digital camera and post a pic.

(Zone 5a)

Welcome and glad to have another gourd lover here, I like your idea and will try it. I would love to see a picture of your gourd.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Welcom, RA49! Yeah, another gourd person :) I grew my first gourds last year (I'm in Ohio) and had some success. I did battle mildew & bugs, but had some learnings along the way, too.

I'm hoping to host a gourd seed swap soon. Not sure if you'll be interested, but just wanted to let you know.
I'll be posting it here in the gourd & melon forum.

Are you in Ontario? We visit there often (about 2.5 hours NE of Sault St. Marie)

Welcome again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.