bromeliads

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

anyone ever start bromeliads from seed. Should I soak them or anything? I have no idea of exactly what kind it is.
Anyone else interested in bromeliads?

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a few, mostly unknown ones, but very pretty..I have one about to bloom for the 1st time, and I can't wait to see what it looks like..I also have a "Queens Tears"billbergia nutans.. It is also about to bloom..I love them, they will bloom for a long time..
Larkie

Dripping Springs, TX

Larkie--lucky you! I always kill them.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey Larkie! I looked up the Queen's Tear's.. What a neat plant.
I have no idea the names of mine..
I see bromeliads grouped with orchids in lots of plant books. I suppose they enjoy the same conditions and look so very nice together. I was amazed at the color variety of the leaf and flower.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Kathy Jo,
Weather permitting and when it is finished blooming, you are welcome to some of the Queen's Tears for postage or maybe a trade..It multiplies very fast, and is so easy to grow..
Larkie

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Sounds great! In the Spring I will know more what I have available for trade.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

KathyJo, I have the Queen`s tears also. Here is a photo of the yellow cactus that I said I had. It has just started to bloom.

Thumbnail by busybee
Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

BusyBee, it's beautiful! They are so worth the wait!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

KathyJo, Is it the yellow that you were looking for?

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh BusyBee, That's the one.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Ok, KathyJo, I will send you a piece of it when it stops blooming.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

That would be wonderful.

Valley Village, CA

Kathy Jo, you may have got lucky. I have a friend that propagates them from seed, he does professionally hybrydizes this species, let me see what can be done for you this comming summer. Just remind me. I even have one in my graden that you can have, if fact it is very large with many grande offsets, just send the postage I think I can make 25 offsets, I don't know it's name but would like to give it away. Postage should be $3.85 for 1 lb. Darn I should have sent some of these to Dave. I think I will do that tomorrow. Thanks for the idea. Norma

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

That would be wonderful Crasulady2. I am always amazed at the people you know in the business.

Valley Village, CA

Kathy Jo, don't be amazed at anything. I've had good luck.
I live in the right city. It give me an advantage.
I just realized what 'Queens Tears' are. I forgot that is a Bromolaid, I think my is variegated if it's still alive. I'll get the flash light and go out and take a look.
This forium has a great attitude, it's my please to be able to help out. Now I'm go out and look for 'Queen Tears'

Norma

Valley Village, CA

I just realized it, I belong to a very large cactus and succulent club. I work at a very famous Botanical Garden, I have attended 4 conventions, this all give me the advantage.

Now back to business, I have the Bromolaid that I talked about, 'Queens Tears' variegated. It needs more light, its light green and it should be pink. I must have only 10 pieces, no big deal, they are easy to start. Norma

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm off to do a search for Queen's tears.

Valley Village, CA

Kaathy Jo, I've never seen a Bromeliads seed, I wouldn't know what to do with them, but I am going to call Bill right now and see what he suggest. Norma

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey ,even the bloom on this Queen's Tears are beautiful. Thanks for all your time. What's the weather like there? Snow is melting a little here today.

Valley Village, CA

Kathy, It's me again, no don't soak the seeds, just use planting mix, keep them moist. It they are still in the fruit you must remove the pulp and get the seeds out first.
If you need more information I can call him back. He is one of my favorite boy friends, he's young and very good looking with the brightest blue eyes. He is one of the nicest men I know. He is one of the reasons I give plants away he has been so good to me, he is good to all, I just want to take my turn and pay my dues. Any other questions?
Toodles, Norma
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

No more questions. Thanks a million. So glad I could give you a reason to call your nice friend and chat.

Valley Village, CA

Sorry about the abbrev. above note. My mind works faster than the fingers these days, and to think I used to play the piano, and have been a trained typist as well, see what happens when one gets old, always in a hurry. Bill is married to a very good looking women. Besides I'm 20 yrs older, [profanity removed]. I still get my hug though when I see him.
Norma

Valley Village, CA

Our weather was cloudy today, we are expecting a light rain, perhaps less than 1/4" but to get it nice a slow about every 10 days would be great. I hope it will add up to 20" for the year. My neighbor cut down her tree which was complete shading my garden, the plants will appreciate all this new light for the winter. By the time summer comes they will have gotten used to more light.
Kathy Jo, I'm serious about the Bromlaid offsets, I will take it out of the dark and give it some light to get it ready for the summer, and color it up for you. The flowers on 'Queen Tears' are sure different in coloration. Crasulady2

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I would love a start of your offset! I am trying to come up with a neat way to display them, to make them look like they are in a more natural setting. Maybe cutting some holes in some wormeaten , driftwoody (new word?) chunks of wood and planting the bromeliads in that. I think they like a little more humidity than they are getting in my plant porch as well.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

KathyJo, The broms will do real well mounted on a piece of driftwood. I have some in 4" and 6" pots that are wrapped with moss to hide the pot and wire. The most important thing about watering is to never let the cup dry out. This is the center of the plant and holds water and dust particles which feed the plant. They do not have to be planted in dirt.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

busybee, The one that you gave me is doing very well. I forget about the cup needing to never dry out. May go water that pretty right now while I'm thinking about it. I tend to overwater instead of underwater.

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

I stuck some Billbergias and other bromelias in tree axils and on the fence here and there more than twenty years ago and most of them are still doing just fine. They bloom occasionally but have hardly gotten any larger. We live just under one mile from the ocean and it is in the low seventies all summer here.
Just thought you might find that earth-shattering :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.