I Shot the Only Buck

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Unfortunately, I shot the only buck around our house on opening day in Maryland, Saturday, November 30. I of course was only hunting with my camera.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here's a "shot" from our lamppost, too bad Tim and Steve were far away in their treestands.

Thumbnail by haighr
Tokyo, Japan

haighr -

Traditionally, the guys go for the "x"point bucks - but I've heard recently (with the deer population explosion) the authorities are encouraging the hunting of does. Is the situation that bad?

I've also read about the return of the cougar (aka puma, wildcat, panther, etc.) eastward - has that affected you yet?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes, the deer population is way out of hand. They even come into the small backyard of my inlaws in Silver Spring. They cause so many car accidents the insurance companies have lobbyed for special hunts in several counties. the one I captured on camera had a small rack, but there are some very large bucks and many many doe across from our home. No problems here with cougars, etc. only an occasional fox.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The deer population here is out of control badly. There is a herd of nearly 20 living here on our farm. The hunters around here want to shoot bucks too but we have more doe permits than for antlered bucks. I keep telling them that the does are the ones who fall apart in spring leaving us with more deer to eat the crops. Our communtiy loses thousands of dollars in damaged and destroyed crops every years. There were some does shot this past season but not nearly as many as needed to be.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Leaflady, Didn't I just read of a big cat in your area?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I couldn't shoot a deer if I had to. But venison steak is the best. Beats beef, hoofs down!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.