Which caterpillar?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Anyone recognise this one?

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I found it on one of my Plumeria

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

And the last picture...The cat is small (short??), about 1.5 inches. Thanks for your help

Thumbnail by Floridian
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I wish there was an ID book for caterpillars! I have some in my butterfly book and a few in the insect book. Usually the one I'm looking for is not in there.
In general though, cats with a distinctive head like that tend to be skippers. Have you seen any skippers lately? If so you could check your butterfly book and see if anyone of them use Plumeria as a host plant. Then compare the cat description.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Wouldn't a caterpillar book be wonderful! I find the same lack of info too. I don't have my books today, I left them at work but I do have tons of skippers around here. Not as many today as a month ago. Somewhere in my search this morning I found a picture of a Sootywing larvae that was very similar. Thanks for the info!! I'll concentrate there.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

He's definitely a skipper. I think he's a Duskywing skipper. The six spots on his head are very unique. Looks like the genus Erynnis, and species could be zarucco or funearalis (Zarucco's Duskywing or Funereal Duskywing). These guys don't feed on Plumeria, though--did you see any leaf damage on the plant? He may have just been on the move when you spotted him.

Here is a link to a picture of the Zarucco Duskywing caterpillar:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/bflyusa/fl/627.htm

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi BG, I went searching for Plumeria as a host plant. I only found one reference from 1982 and that was referenced to the Sphinx Moth(s). I think your link was the same one I found, I just remembered Sooty instead of Dusky. I used your links first!
I have all sorts of skippers here. The attached image is of a frequent visitor to the Bidens alba (pilosa??) especially. That's why I let some of these plants stay. All sorts of critters like them.
Check out this picture of Horace's Duskywing http://larsonweb.org/butterflies/skippers/hodu2.htm
Thanks for all your help!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Temecula, CA(Zone 9a)

Floridian, did you observe this skipper larva eating the Plumeria? Like butterflygdnr suggests, it is possible that it strayed onto the plant from a nearby location. It appears to be in its final instar, and could also be searching for a suitable location to pupate. Just a thought. I do not know of and couldn't find any references to native skippers using Plumeria as a host plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.