Looks like a good time to re-post gourd art

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

This looks like a good time and place to re-post some of my gourd work, posted last year in the photo forum. Y'all have dome some nifty gourd art and I want to share mine again for all the newcomers.

This 'wolf gourd' was the first one I ever made, and I thought it turrned out nicely. It was a gift for a Native American friend who has 'wolf' as a totem.

Thumbnail by darius

Another view of the 'wolf' gourd...

Thumbnail by darius

A 'hummingbird' gourd in progress...

Thumbnail by darius

'hummingbird' gourd finished with the copper inlay....

Thumbnail by darius
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Darius, What a wonderfull job you have done with them!
(Especially the one that it was your first time attempting it!)
They both look great! What size/kind of gourds did you use for these? What kind of tool did you use to carve out the hummingbird?

Iris, I think the wolf gourd was about 8" tall (after cutting the top) and about 12" in diameter. The hummingbird gourd was perhaps 6" in diameter and maybe 9" tall, made from a bottle or dipper gourd (used sometimes for swans). Just regular (lagenaria) hard-shelled gourds.

I have a Foredom flexible shaft machine and used various diamond and/or carbide bits to make the carved place for the inlay. Hard shell gourds are really hard, too hard to use regular carving tools except when green. (And if you carve them very deeply when green, you can lose the gourd.)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW, great work!

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

darius both are pretty.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Truly beautiful from the inside out, Darius! I'm so glad you shared this with us.

Did your friend like his totem gift?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Darius, TY for the info.
I like Native American Art Work myself ~ Have you ever done a Dream-Catcher gourd?
I've done one myself so far, But so many people liked it, I think I'm going to have to make some more! I wanted to make a 'basket dream-catcher' but, I didn't have a big enough gourd at the time, So I made it out of a (Dipper?) gourd. It's not finished yet, I still have to paint turqoise wolf and bear silouhets on it, But here's a pic of how it looks as is ~>

Thumbnail by IRIS

Hey, that's cool, Iris! I love the feathers, too. I've never made a dream catcher, but have often thought I should, just for myself. I didn't do any more Native American style gourds but the 2 above. (I live close to the Cherokee Reservation and there is so much fine art work from there.)

Morph, both the wolf and hummingbird gourds were totems. Wolf for a schoolteacher friend in New Hampshire, and the hummer a gift for her twin sister. Both were warmly accepted. Seems like I give all my best work away, but someday I hope to make enough to enter some juried competitions and show/sell my work. My current "trend" is to suggest the feminine Mother/Warrior/Priestess somewhat like the Amazonian women.

Crossville, TN

Darius....you are so talented....I love them both. Iris...I am going to try the Dream Catcher idea! Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I really like your themes, Darius. They fit so well, too, with the life of a gourd. I often find myself giving away my best work on various projects (not gourds yet). I have to remember to save or do something that our own family can cherish.

Iris, I love your Dream Catcher! What another wonderful idea. Are you selling yours yet? I'd really like to buy one of those from you when you've the time to make one. I am drying some small dippers if you'd need me to provide one.

I am constantly amazed at how wonderful everyone's work is here ~ it almost scares me away from diving in with a project...

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Darius, Thank's, I'd love to live by an indian reservation, The art work you see must be fasinating!

~RoadRunner, If your going to make a dream-catcher gourd, I suggest you make the dream-catcher first and then tie it into the gourd ( That's how I did mine ~ I've heard that the pressure from the tightness of the dream-catcher on the gourd alone can actually break the gourd, Especially if it's a thin-walled gourd, That's why it's best to tie it in and it looks just as good)

Morph, TY, I've got so many going at one time and the only one that I really finished so far was the 'One -Stroke Painting' one ~ I've got many gourds and tons of idea's but little time! I think I'll just do them all through the winter and post a pic on my homepage when I have them all done and see who has interest, I'll be making more Dream-catcher gourds in different colors and paintings, Maybe you'll see something you'd like.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, I'm sure I will! Thanks :)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

"Your Quite Welcome!"

(Zone 5a)

Darius where did you get your horns for the wolf gourd? I have looked almost everywhere and can't seem to find a place that sells them. You did a great job decorating your gourds and I hope to be as good one day.

windsurfer, the horns are mule deer horns and I got them at a local craft supplier. Thanks for the compliments!

Bump

Crossville, TN

I just bought a set of deer antlers at a Thrift Store for $6.00 just 4 pointers but nicely shaped. I plan to use them with a gourd too. Jo

Cool!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Those are wonderful darius, something out of the ordinary that is unique! Thanks for sharing them. I especially like the humming bird, it looks like pottery. Thanks for sharing.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks for the bump, darius! I really enjoyed seeing all the work. As soon as it gets the least bit cool down here (November?) I have two bins of gourds, plus three from my own plant, to get to work on.

So many gourds, so little time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.