Starting tomatoes for early harvest

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have a brand new 20x40 hoop house and am planning to sell seedlings in a big way this spring. For the last few years,I've been managing without one with the tolerance of a devoted husband. This year,he finally broke down and set me up with the whole nine yards.(actually,he's hoping for a tax write off the next couple of years)

Now I know when to start plants for my spring market,so that's not an issue.

I'm wanting to get a jump on those BLT's!!!

Assuming I turn the heat on in the GH in mid Feb(I'll only need it a month) I was planning on having some plants ready to put out there when I got everything ready for my seedlings.

How early should I start them to be able to repot into large tubs when I open up the GH? Christmas?

My plan was to dolly the tubs outside on nice days and bring them in at night.We have days in the low 70's in late Feb.If varieties are carefully chosen,will the trouble be worth it?

Who has any experience in this area?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Check out my posts to a couple of other threads in this forum!
Bernie

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi Melody
When I start my seedlings in late December most are usually about a foot tall in late February. But I usually put them out during the 2nd week in March. I think you have to wait another month to set out plants.
Good Luck
Jan

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi jan, yes,my outside planting date is April 15.This was concerning container plants that will live in the greenhouse.From what I can tell,I'm going to try about 6 plants in 5 gallon buckets like Bernie does. I think I'll raise them inside until about Valentine's day(my seed starting date) and then put them in the greenhouse with the seedlings to grow on.

(Zone 6a)

Why not plant seeds for each of the six plants about 5 days apart? That would give you a total of 30 days spread between the first seedling and the last seedling. For a good comparison however, I think they would have to all be the same variety of tomato.
Then, next year, your would have a better idea of exactly when to plant your seeds for early container-growm 'maters.

BTW, which variety(s) are you thinking about for your early container-grown tomatoes? I know you love those hybrids:) lol

Owen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.