Friday, November 22

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, here we are nearly at the close of another week. We have been so blessed with something like 8 deer so far and the promise of several more before the season is over next Tuesday. We're only keeping a couple or 3 for ourselves. Most are already either in someone else's freezers or at least promised. A young friend came to help us yesterday because we got 3 deer in just a couple hours. I gave him 2 nice big ones for helping to completely dress them out. He has only done this once before, several years ago. We got his totally cut up and packaged by about 10 last night. He went home with something like 125#-150# of meat I think. We bone out most of the carcass and then hang the rib cage over tree limbs, fences, etc. for the woodpeckers, etc. to eat. They will strip 2 or 3 carcasses this winter. I boiled one pelvic frame and baked the second one. Jack picked the cooked meat off the baked one this afternoon and says he will do the other one tomorrow for me. Lots of meat on those pelvic frames. It makes wonderful sandwich meat or a quick pan of hash or stew base.
The neighbors who hunt 'coon just now brought us a freshly killed one. Young and not too big. Now I'll get to try some new way to cook one. It will likely go in the freezer for a few days tho as we have so much venison around. Shad is skinning it now. He watched them do one a while back and this will be good practice for him.
I need to go work on some more of that deer that we didn't get cleaned up, trimmed, packaged and into the freezer. It's in the garage where the temps have been in the upper 40s or lower so it will keep well. I may just do the 'coon and go to bed.
We had a fair crowd at the cafe' tonight.Please pray for more business for this family. Business has been so slow for a few months and it is hurting them badly. They are wonderful Christian people and I want so much to see them prosper. The older couple of the family are in their 60s and their daughters are both 27-30 or so. Fortunely the girls' husbands both have good jobs or they would really be hurting.
GOD bless and keep all of you.
EvaMae

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!