Saw one today

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

DH and I saw a hummer outside the window today. Haven't seen any in weeks. Wonder if he's travelling through from somewhere else this late.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi gingerlily,
I haven't seen any lately but haven't been home while it is daylight! That is special, maybe it is over wintering with you. Did you get my email?

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Yes, I got it. Haven't heard from the place to know if the parts are in yet. Maybe it'll be Sat. Do you work on Sat.?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

NOPE! Come on down, i will be working in the yard.

Charlotte, NC

Gingerlily, my husband and I stopped by your home the first of August. Did the hummer come to your firecracker plant or is it still blooming.We have had some frost in Columbia, SC. I was unable to root the firecracker plant. Will try to found for next year. Enjoyed talking to you and seeing all your plants.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Actually, I saw it go to a canna bloom. I'm trying to root some more of the firecracker. If they make it, I can send you one later. It is still blooming, but after last night I don't know what shape it will be in. Haven't ventured outside yet. Tom said it looked like everything was probably gonna be dead later today. Right now the angel trumpets look great (from a distance) but I bet when it warms up, they'll wilt (just frozen right now).

Glad you joined DG. Don't you find it full of good info and sharing?

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

gingerlily,
Hope your hummer stays around. This time of yr it could be one of several different types. Do you have a feeder out? If you could take a picture of it or describe it, especially its coloring in its tail, back & throat, may be able to identify it for you.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

It looked rather like a female ruby-throated hummer. But I'm no expert. Haven't seen it, but neither have I had time to watch for it. I don't have feeders out now, but I still have plenty of things blooming that hummers like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.