Fingered Citron 'Buddha's hand' (Citrus medica)

San Francisco, CA

Friut from tree

Common name: Fingered Citron 'Buddha's hand'
Family: Citrus
Genus: Citrus
Species medica

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54295/

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl
New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

This is marvelous. Did you grow it?

Adam.

San Francisco, CA

No, I saw it at a nursery and wanted to add it to the base, the problem is this photos is too large and I need to upload another that is smaller and have this one removed.

San Francisco, CA

I can not resize this photo, it may be because I took it vertically and used the lossless jpep rotation, I can at a future time take another one that is the correct size. Please remove one of the photos, I thought I had correctly resized it but upon uploading it was the same as the other one.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a neat plant. This is the first year I've seen it offered in the local nurseries. I

San Francisco, CA

I had never seen one and I was so excitied so I rushed up and I said, "I want one of those, but I live in San Francisco." and they told me it was a go no for San Franicsco, it does not get hot enough. Which was very honest of them, most places will say you can grow it just the make a sale. They are in Golden Nursery which is located in San Mateo, CA.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I go to that nursery Bug girl. I have never seen such a plant. Is it there now?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kell it is known as Buddha's Hand like i posted on the other thread on this plant.

furthermore, this plant DO Grow in the San Francisco area. a good friend of mine, grows her Buddha's Hand in her yard all year round.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

hi Ma Vie......... well maybe they meant in san francisco itself which is always colder..more fog less sun....... than the surrounding areas. the nursery is about an hour if that, south of San Francisco and a bit warmer.

San Francisco, CA

Dear Kell,
Yes, they have quite a few of them. I hope you get one because I really like them.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kell, my friend lives on the other side of the bridge further north in the mountaineous area, which is much colder than the SF area. i do know it is colder up there cause she always invite us to spend the holidays with her and her family.

San Francisco, CA

It is the lack of sun/heat in the summer. I do not believe we can do citrus, but some try any way. The trees can struggle along, but will never really be happy in San Francisco. Speaking with the nursery staff concurred with my suspicions, but I have never dared to try a fruit tree.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I would love it Bug girl but I am so limited in room. but I will run over there for a peek. i love looking at new plants!! ihave never seen one growing around here and believe me I would notice! so it blooms in November?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

MaVie, I've updated the entry - you're correct, it should be Buddha's Hand or Buddha's Fingers :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Bug_Girl, What are they asking for this plant in San Francisco? I saw it offered here locally for $35 - nice looking plants too. I first saw it at the Botanical Gardens so it grows here in 9b..of course they really baby their plants.

San Francisco, CA

I can't remember but I did not check the price, since I asked about buying it and they said, it would not work out. Next time I go, I can check the price. The other photo I uploaded to the entry shows the trees they have right now in stock.

Dear Kell, They are toward the back and to the right with the citrus trees. They look like tiny sea monsters or yellow jelly fish.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Terry, i was concerned, since i knew a lot of the entries on the DG's Forums/Plants Database shows on google search engine.

San Francisco, CA

http://cnas.ucr.edu/~citrus/fruits/finger.htm

Check this link, it can be called fingered citron, but the other common name is more popular, I guess.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is quite the plant, Bug_Girl! All rind, no fruit... sounds like some of the lemons we pay a dollar for here in Alaska! Your entry really peaked my curiousity, so I went out on the web to look it up. Thanks for posting.

Say, you might want to email Go_Vols and have her correct the spelling of Buddha in the subject of this thread. I've noticed that these threads of ours are offered on the Googles search engine, and this one probably wouldn't link if the spelling is different. (Thanks for pointing that out, MaVieRose.)

By the way, BugGirl. The photo is big, but not huge, and at some point, Dave is going to resize all the elargements on the site. In fact, if I had a decent sized monitor, it probably wouldn't seem big at all! LOL

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

THose won't grow here but it sure is a great looking plant! Nice picture bug_girl.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Weeds, as i was surfing on Google, i found a few sources in Florida. if it does grow in SF area, am sure it will grow in Florida. unfortunately, i failed to bookmark the url :(.

u're welcome Weez. if not mistaken Go_Vols already corrected the entry. yes, i was a wee bit concern about input/s on the Plants Database. it is not only for the benefit of DG members but the whole world knows too, specially if posted on Googles!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, MaVieRose, I've seen these PDB threads listed in Googles, as well, so I thought a correction to the Buddha typo might keep it from not showing up. It's already corrected on the entry, as you say.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Ma_vie I am in Northern Florida which actually Lower Alabama (we call it LA) so my temps get pretty low.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Weez, there is more than one entry to this plant ... http://davesgarden.com/t/367559/ , i guess the entry that i pointed to spelling error was deleted for some reason. i do not see it anymore. this thread is the 3rd thread for this plant. yes, u are right the spelling should be corrected.

Weeds, sorry am not geographically well verse in the US area. i guess u know better and well acquainted with ur area.

San Francisco, CA

I just noticed I was wrong, this is not called "Fingered Citron"

I looked carefully at the link, I posted and the fingered citron has more digits, or fingers then Buddahs hand, which only has five. If go vals would be good enough to change it. I only want the data base to be as correct as possible.

There is only one entry for it, but I posted two photos, which is what you are looking at. Each time a new photo is posted it creates a new entry in PDB Photos.

San Francisco, CA

http://www.hortresearch.co.nz/products/nzcbs/cultivars/bhcitron/

If you look at this link, it says that that both names are ok. I am confused about it. I will leave it up to the editors to sort it out. Please make any changes that you see fit.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I think they are talking about your typo Gug girl......you typed Buhhads instead of Buddah's......see at the top of this thread................. but I am getting confused at this point also............ so who knows

San Francisco, CA

Yes, I knew about the typo, I had photographed the tag, but it turns out the photograph is a mirror image and the font was weird so I read it backwards. Then I read some where, this one has only five fingers and therefore is a hand, while fingered citron has many fingers and it not a hand shape.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Bug_Girl. Yes, I'm just referring to the mis-spelling line of this thread and the other PDB thread that was started for your other picture. Otherwise, what you entered is just fine. My research found that both names, Buddha's Hand & Fingered Citron, are applied to this same plant. I just emailed Go_Vols to make the spelling corrections on these two threads, since it's OK with you. The misspellings in the PDB were already taken care of, but they didn't change on these threads. So, we can quit worrying about spellings and enjoy talking about this curious plant! LOL.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Okay, I think I've sorted it out. I changed the name of this thread as well as the title that appears above the photo in the initial post; I deleted the second photo's thread altogether.

If you find "Buhhad" or his hands (or fingers) showing up anywhere else, please let me know :)

I do appreciate the promptings; we change things in the PDB, but that doesn't automatically update the associated threads. Both get indexed by Google, and I don't think we want to perpetuate the misspelling.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

See, now, Go_Vols... you have much better communication skills than me. This is sure an interesting plant, but I didn't find very much info on Googles, so I think we're offering more here, thanks to Bug_Girl and others.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

oh look Bug_girl.....I just found this one at Logee's......... it says in a pot it will grow only grow to 3 feet.
2.5" Pot Size This cultivar of the Citron is the most exotic and unusual container fruit we grow. Thought to be the oldest known citrus in cultivation, it produces a large fruit with long protruding fingers and a thick rind. Although inedible the rind is often candied. The plant itself is a vigorous grower, fruiting and flowering year-round. Hardy Zone 9 and higher Full sun, grows to 1-3' in container, minimum temperature 50°.

San Francisco, CA

'Fingered Citron', ('Buddha's Hand', or 'Buddha's Fingers'; C. medica var. sarcodactylus Swing.); called fu shou in China, bushukon in Japan, limau jari, jeruk tangan, limau kerat lingtang, in Malaya; djerook tangan in Indonesia; som-mu in Thailand; phât thu in Vietnam. The fruit is corrugated, wholly or partly split into about 5 finger-like segments, with little or no flesh; seedless or with loose seeds. The fruit is highly fragrant and is placed as an offering on temple altars. It is commonly grown in China and Japan; is candied in China.

Kell, I also found this information, but many of the web photos have many fingers, not just five.

West Sacramento, CA

I got finger Citron Buddha's plant this morning I am very happy with it ,and have lafe in the Low's garden.A girl who's sale this plant for me she said the fruit look very scaer to her...but I love it *_* Thank you Buddha.ha ha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.