I Love Plant People

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Figured it was time to introduce myself. I've had so much fun cruising around this site since joining that I've neglected the formalities. And I'm not shy, just have a hard time deciding what to say about myself. So I'll just give you a little background regarding the plant side of my life. Although I've never tried to make a living using anything that I've learned, when I look back, I have more college education in horticulture and nursery practice than any other subject, and since my lifelong motto seems to be "the truly educated never graduate," (sorry, don't remember who coined that one) I'm ecstatic to find a truly wonderful place to further my education. Sheesh, you people sure know how to network! I've been living in California for the past 29 years (30 in March), first 7 in San Diego, next 7 in Sonoma County and now here in Laguna Beach for the past 16. I live right on the water and have become so addicted to the ocean that I have forfeited a regular garden and now only grow in containers (the property does not belong to me, alas). I've found that I can grow pretty much anything in containers though (short of corn, for instance) and that the ideal weather here gives me so many choices of plants from all over the world, that I can be content. The only two plants that haunt me (I'm from Ohio originally) are peonies and lilacs. They are my favorites (maybe because I can't have them?) and any attempt to grow either here has produced pathetic results. OK, guess that's enough for now. Soooooo glad to be here, you can't imagine. Dave, if you happen to read this, you're destined for sainthood for creating this truly special community. Stella

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Stella, welcome to DG! I think you'll find you're among kindred souls :)

Stella, I lived in Ohio for many years and can relate to your love (and lonesomeness) for peonies and lilacs. In the same vein -- sort of -- I miss cardinals! Welcome to DG.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Welcome I know you will love it here.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Stellapathic. I saw your posts elsewhere at DG and got a good chuckle from your username. It's great! :)

I'm in Ohio, too, and I can imagine life without peonies would be a bummer. Have you tried artificially reproducing the chill period they require? Do you or does someone you know have space for a fridge so you could chill potted peonies in the winter? I've heard of folks doing this, but never experimented with it myself.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Whiterose - I miss cardinals in the snow too! But I have found so much joy in the pelicans outside my place that they help compensate. In fact, we seem to have such a bond that the neighbors now call them stelicans. And one thing I don't miss about Ohio is the bugs. Virtually no flies and I have maybe one mosquito a summer. But that also means I have to forfeit the lightning bugs, which are peaceful things on a summer eve. Gardenwife - I too have seen (and bookmarked) all your awesome entries in the computer talk forum. You're a godsend there. And I found the post about the stray beagle Buddy. How's he doing? Funny, I have a friend in Dayton who recently acquired a stray beagle he has named Beatrice. Are there just a bunch of stray beagles running about the roads of Ohio now? Maybe we should try and hook Buddy and Beatrice up. She's a little preoccupied at the moment. Seems she met a mut before she could find Buddy and has four little boy beagle/muts to care for. I'd attach a pic of them, too, but can't figure out how from here. Gardenwife, help! Thanks to all for the welcome, very happy to be here. Stella

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Welcome Stella,

I saw one of your posts this week and was going to say hi to a fellow So. Californian. I am your neighbor DG buddy, just 10 miles north of you. I've been a member here for almost 2 yrs. now, and I love it. Have met many friends and gained so much info here at DG, probably more than if I had taken any gardening classes.

I was raised here in El Segundo, then married to a husband that was in the Air Force. We have lived in many types of garden climates, including Dayton, Ohio and Colo. Springs, Colo. I will take our gardening climate anyday...garden all year long.

Maybe after all the holiday rush is over, we could meet and visit each others gardens. If you have any questions, just ask here and your wishes will come true.

Donna

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Donna, Was just preparing to head out to get my hair cut and do my shopping at Trader Joe's and Mothers Market, all on 17th St in Costa Mesa, even closer to you. Have you ever been to the Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano? Best nursery I've found around here by far, it's huge. A bit far for you, but worth the trip. Hey, maybe we could meet there and have lunch at Cafe Ramos! After the holidays of course. I agree, we're pretty spoiled as gardeners aren't we? ---- A side note to GW - I have tried the peony-in-the-fridge trick, it works great for my tulips and other bulbs, but I think maybe the peony doesn't take well to the lack of humidity. Started out great, nice big shiny leaves, but then just kinda curled up and died. And I planted it in December so that it would get the coolest of our weather. Winter here at its worst (my favorite time of year here though) is a lot like early spring in Ohio, sometimes rainy and chilly, and sometimes warm and sunny. I'm just about to pot up my freesias and tulips. They'll be blooming by Feb 1. Hey, I can add the picture of Bea & pups. Know anyone in the Dayton area in need of a Christmas puppy? They'll be the perfect age, born Nov 4. Just opened their eyes this week. OK, Donna, thanks for the welcome and GW, I'm going to cruise around in the computer threads for a while this afternoon to see if I can figure out how to load more than one pic at a time. S

Those doggies are precious beyond belief! What cute photos of them. Yes, I miss the lightning bugs in the Midwest, too -- am glad those stelicans make up for the bug loss, LOL.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I would take a pup in a heartbeat. My husband has been wanting a beagle....
Welcome to DG - this is an incrdible site. more like a family really, I have a hard time explaining to people about my family on the web...

Stella, since you cant grow paeonies...why not try paeony poppies? of course they're not the same thing silly...but so darned close! If you want, I can send you some seeds.
they are awesome...just really quite something....

Welcome Stella!!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Hi, Stella. Welcome to DG. It sure is a great place to learn, and I too have a DG family, you will soon as well. I live in the desert area of eastern Oregon and I grow peonies, so I don't think you have dry enough air to hurt them. Still chuckling over the stellacins. Can you post a picture for us?

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

OK, here's one little guy, early to dinner for the lobster man who has pots out there. The rest of the flock showed up 10 minutes later with the boat. I'm not sure whether it was to his advantage to be the early bird. Maybe it was just one of those hot winters for us when I tried the peonies. For instance, today's it's at least 85. Not Thanksgiving type weather, for sure. Nice to meet you MaryE

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Awwwww, if we weren't absolutely at our limit, I bet Howie'd love one of those puppies. But there's no way, LOL! Too bad the fridge trick won't work for you. Wonder if you could put the pot in a plastic vented bag, like they use for produce. Would that regulate the humidity a little, while still chilling the rhizome?

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi Stella, I've noticed your name already on DG so you're not such a newbie anymore. But I'm glad that I know more of you now you've posted on this mat. What a nige doggy and what a nice pic you've made! I'm looking forward to meet you on DG.
Saya from Netherlands.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Hello, Stella, from California!! Sure good to meet ya!!

"eyes"

Thumbnail by eyesoftexas

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.