Almost Finished

(Zone 5a)

All that remains to be done is to wood burn it and seal.

Thumbnail by windsurffer
Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Super nice job there Kit!!

(Zone 5a)

Thanks, this gourd is very round and not one flat area so this took more time than I thought it would.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I bet so! You still done a wonderful job though and on a rounded surface....man that must have really been tough! Keep up the good work!!

(Zone 5a)

Awh thank you my dear, tonight after supper I am going burn it. I saw this same photo on another gourd forum that won first place. The only difference is that the artist added a flag in the back ground.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Cool!!! That would be neat to win a prize for doing something you love to do wouldn't it?!

(Zone 5a)

Yes it would, I love doing crafts but I am trying so hard to come up with something unusual that wouldn't take a lot of time.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

You and me both!! I'd love to come up with something that no one else has ever done before!!

(Zone 5a)

Boy your as bad as I am, good luck finding one and let me know if you do and I will do the same.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

:) will do

(Zone 5a)

;}

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great Job Wind!! It's really nice!!

(Zone 5a)

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Windsurffer,
Gourd art is also popular in China.
the pictures on them, besides what you have mentioned of, are drawn with ironing,we also have the following ways.
1.draw the pictures by using water colors and an oil painting brush.when the drawings are finished,paint a thin layer of transparent paint on them to protect pictures becoming dim and off.
2.draw the pictures with thick Chinese black ink and an oil paiting brush.when the pictures are finished,smoke them over a burning candle which gives off thick smoke.and then wipe with a cloth.thus the pictures will stay on the gourds fairly well.
These two methods you may have a try.
If you still have any questions,please email me.i'd like to discuss with you. ):

(Zone 5a)

It's funny that you should mention smoking them with the candle. I have a shelf that I painted and use fire to decorate them and they are lovely. I have so many things I could show you that I have made from the oddest things. I made some sea shell roses and also cut up a few and made a basket of flowers out of sea shell, it is so pretty.
I just use pencils to draw my pictures and work with pastels and water colors, I am not very good with oil paint. I dye my own fabric for my quilt projects but I am expermenting with using the same dye to decorate my gourds. I have a couple of new ideas for my egg gourds which I will share with all when they are finished. I am trying not spend any more money but to use what I already have since my budget is about to burst at the seams lol.

Windsurffer,
Experience the second smoking method,
and you will find it unique.
Now a THIRD method having pictures on gourds:
WHEN the gourds are still green on the vines,label papercuts on them. when you harvest the ripe gourds,
take off the papercuts,and you will see the pictures have already lived on the gourds.heheheheh i am afraid you have to wait till the next year to try this.

(Zone 5a)

I don't understand what you mean by paper cuts? I have heard of gourd molds but they cost too much for just one, so I am going to use jars.

Oh,i am sorry that i have not make myself understood.
Well,the third method,i meant,cover a piece of little paper with scissored drawing on the gourd which is still growing green on the vine.due to the different sunshine between the covered and uncovered parts,it will cause a strong contrast.thus the drawing will be naturally printed on the gourd.
As my comprehension,your gourd molds or gourd jars are used to make a gourd in good shape.while the above i mentioned of is used for printing drawing on it.

(Zone 5a)

Ok I got cha, thanks.

Hope my warmhearted efforts
will do a little help for you.):

(Zone 5a)

This message was edited Tuesday, Dec 17th 3:11 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.