godfinch feast

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

There have been flocks (charms?) of goldfinches in my garden recently.
They feed on the teasel and lemon balm seeds that i leave for them purposely
Here's one on the lemon balm

Thumbnail by philomel

Whoops, the title must have been a freudian slip (or my finger slipped - one or the other)

Anyway, here are a couple more on the same clump of lemon balm
(I haven't tried niger seeds in a feeder yet - will leave that for when all the natural seed is gone :)

Thumbnail by philomel
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Your goldfinches have red on their faces, how neat. The finches love the echinacea seeds in my garden. They collect on the stems look like yellow flowers out there.

Don't yours have red faces Cala?
(if not they're apparently not as easily embarrassed LOL)

No, our Goldfinches are yellow, black and white. I'll try to get a picture.

That would be great :D

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Philomel, your goldies look so nice with the red on their face. Have you ever tried the nyjer seed in a thistle/nyger sock? They are truly goldfinch magnets. I have two hanging from my crabapple tree & I can look outside at anytime & there will probably be about 8-10 goldfinches on each one. I bought two this summer & just bought 4 more this week. They are such fun to watch.

I'm sure that Cala has a better goldfinch pic than this, but here is one I took this summer.

Thumbnail by broots

Wow, yours are so yellow (or, i suppose, gold!) They almost look like canaries!
Fascinating. Thanks for posting that broots :)

I haven't tried niger seed at all yet, but will get some later in the winter, when the natural stocks of seed in my garden are getting low.
I hear it really is a magnet to them

This message was edited Jul 1, 2005 9:20 AM

Broots, no, don't have a better pic, yours shows the color better.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2005 9:21 AM

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I'm really late posting on this.

Philomel get your nyger feeders up asap cos once your seeds is done they will move to where someone is feeding the seed magnet. There is a new one on the market from CJ which only allows the birds to take one seed at a time.

at work today there must have been 50+ when I arrived at work. No feeding was going on as they were all fighting over a feeding perch. I'm now putting Nyger on the ground to get them down there to eat spilt seed and it's working.

I want to take photos to show but my camera is [deleted]. I have decided that buying a camera at £800/$1200 is the biggest waste of money I have ever done in my whole 42 years. that dosh could have paid off one of my credit cards

OK I'll get the CJ cat. out and have a look. Still got goldfinches quite often at the moment :)

Sorry you're still having probs with the new Nikon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.