A great ground cover for the shade garden *pic*

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Saxifraga stolonifera - hardy to at least zone 5. Pretty white flowers in the spring a must have shade plant.

Thumbnail by datdog
Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

That's a new one to me! Is it a rampant spreader, or more on the controlable side? Like the color.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Very Pretty! Wonder why I never saw it before. I am constantly looking at "shade" plants. How tall does it grow?

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

It's a very well behaved little plant. The common name for it is strawberry begoina, it has a leaf like a begonia- yet it's hardy. The variety I posted a photo of only grows about 2 inches. There are some new varities with pink and white variegation. Another that is yellow and maroon.
Really a must have shade plant.
Kristi

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Gonna have to keep my eyes open for that one! Haven't seen any around these parts yet.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh - Datdog - I didn't know it had flowers of other colors. Those look alot like the Ajuga flower. I have the S. Begonia with little white "bunny faces" for blooms. Would love to trade for some for some of yours if you are interested - LMK!!

Thumbnail by Azalea
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Azaela, those are ajuga flowers- I suppose I should have cleared that up. My flowers are just like the ones you've posted. Have you tried any of the other saxifragas? The foilage is really outstanding on saxifraga tri-color and eco-butterfly. Kristi

This message was edited Saturday, Nov 16th 9:24 PM

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

LOl - I really thought so, but my old eyes fool me sometimes!! I have never seen any other kind. Would love some if you know where to find them!!

That's a really interesting plant. I have a shade garden of about an acre and am always looking for a plant that will work in shade and grow and be divisble.

I never heard of it before. If you're interested in trading in the spring, I have a wide variety of hostas, ferns, irises, and some very hardy mint plants (they need some sun)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I also have Saxifraga stolonifera, growing happily in my garden. It's a perennial loving groundcover that performs well in moist shade, divides easily, and spreads its runners without being invasive. Beautiful foliage which needs little care.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.