Unknown Wasp

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Saw these wasps (?) around for awhile this summer but not since. They sure weren't aggressive or seemingly aggravated by my presence. If I got to close they just moved on.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The other side

Thumbnail by Floridian
Temecula, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice photos! This looks like a scoliid wasp, commonly referred to as the Scarab hunter wasp. I would guess this one is in the genus Campsomeris. C. tolteca is our most common species here in southern California; not sure about the most common species in Florida. Another common scoliid wasp genus is Triellis.

Males and females are sexually dimorphic, i.e. they look different and can often be mistaken for two different wasps. The photo here is of a male. The females of C. tolteca (and possibly other Campsomeris sp.) are much larger, have a more orangish abdomen, and do not possess long antennae like the males.

The females burrow underground in search of scarab grubs, which they parasitize. The female stings the grub, deposits eggs on it, and the wasp larvae feed on the grub externally. Maybe a little more than you wanted to know, but I find these guys neat. They are very common in my yard here, and are probably parasitizing the common june (fruit) beetle and other common scarabs. I see them most often on my native buckwheat flowers, but they have also taken a liking to some mint flowers, which are taking over the yard!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Guy! Great information and just the kind I like! We do see a large yellow and black wasp around and I've seen them digging in the sand in various borders. I tried to ID it but only got as far as 'Horse Guard Wasp' and that is tentative at best. If you wouldn't mind taking a look...http://davesgarden.com/t/215536/ and then there's this little moth that I'd love to know more about: http://davesgarden.com/t/366735/
If this is an imposition please let me know. I just think it's *wonderful* that we have someone with your knowledge here in the garden.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Wonderful pics and so much info - thanks both of you, fascinating. I'll keep watching :)

Temecula, CA(Zone 9a)

It's not an imposition at all Floridian. I'm glad I can contribute here. I won't know all the answers of course, esp. when the insect in question doesn't live in southern California where I grew up and continue to live, but I will always be happy to try and identify any critters you have.

While I have dabbled with gardening over the years, I have just now gotten serious about diversifying my garden and keeping everything alive! That is why I joined Dave's - to hopefully learn a thing or two from all of you experienced gardeners. I really like Brugmanisa and Passiflora, and am looking forward to next year when my various cuttings will hopefully take off. I know I will be looking to Dave's for lots of advice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.