Peony Poppy, Opium Poppy, Paeony Flowered Poppy 'Rose Feather' (Papaver somnifer

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Common name: Peony Poppy, Opium Poppy, Paeony Flowered Poppy 'Rose Feather'
Family: Papaveraceae
Genus: Papaver
Species somniferum

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54232/

Thumbnail by poppysue
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You've posted some beautiful pics, PoppySue. My somniferums just weren't as showy this year, so I didn't get a lot of good pictures. I looked up Rose Feather on the web and couldn't find it. The closest photo was for Carnation Poppy: http://store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/popcerormixc.html Is Rose Feather a cultivar name?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This one came from Select Seeds Antiqtue Flowers. I looked on the web but it's not listed. I might have one of their old catalogs kicking around... or at least the old seed packet - lol. It is like a carnation type - not quite fully double.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I get so disgusted with these seed companies that like to get inventive with names... I'm not accusing Select Seed, but I know that T&M sure does it. When they want to sell exisiting seed, they'll pull some name out of the hat that sounds interesting. That makes research really difficult later on.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Not the Thompson & Moragan "EXCUSIVE"!!?? LOL. They really take the cake! Did you see the "Burnt Orange" poppy from them?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

No, I just checked their online catalog, but didn't see that one. Yes, the big "Exclusive"! Bless their hearts! I can recall purchasing seeds for "Armenian Basket Flower"... sounds pretty good, eh? Turns out it was Big Headed Knapweed!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Here's the Burnt Orange http://davesgarden.com/t/366874/ I think they changed the name after they got a lot of complaints!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, obviously you "Burnt" it too long, PoppySue!

melbourne,

I am interested in growing one of these . Where could I buy seeds.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This one came from Select Seeds too.

Oak View, CA

I think I have these poppies...have had them for about thirty years. My aunt gave me seeds and the plants just pop up on their own year after year. The ruffled pink display is so charming!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

If the leaves are a mint green color and shiny, they are probably somniferum. If your poppies have darker green leaves and rather fuzzy, they are probably P. rhoes, commonly called Shirley poppies or Corn poppies. Either way, they are beautiful, and both are avid self seeders.

Oak View, CA

The plants are all on hiatus now, but I think they have a dull gray/green color.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Mine are in bloom now. Of course, every time a lovely one blooms, the rain hits it and the petals fall off!

Oak View, CA

Poppies from the summer of 2009.

Thumbnail by Opoetree
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, those are so lovely. I had heavy rains just as mine were blooming this year, so I was quite disappointed.

Port Hueneme, CA

Hey opoetree... My name is kevin and I live in Oxnard... I wanted to see if you had anymore of those seeds for this plant... My grandmother and I have been wanting to grow them for the last year but haven't been able to find any seeds...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.