Desert Willow

Wills Point, TX(Zone 8a)

I am wondering about the hardyness of Desert Willow in my area. I live in East Texas just below the line between zones 7 and 8. I have books that say that Desert Willow is hardy to zone 8 and books that say it is hardy through zone 7. I wonder if any East Texas gardeners have had any long term success with this small tree in this area.

Desert willow likes dry, well-drained alkaline soil. I live in North Central TX and killed my first one by overwatering in black clay. My second one is doing much better. They grow "como loco" in West TX. Go to the Plants section to the right of this...I posted Desert Willow there. Your soils in East Texas tend to be more acid...this might be a problem unless you add lime, wood ashes or bone meal. If you have a high, dry well drained place, it might work.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

Desert Willow thrives here in zone 9a. I just bought some seeds from a person in Odessa, Texas. His listing claims they are only hardy in zones 7-10. I'm hoping I can get them to grow. They are hard to find out here in nurseries. When you do find one, they are like 50 bucks for a tree that doesn't look very good.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I found a great place where I bought one (my second) from the sooner plant farm in the Watchdog and they sent me one for I thinkit was 12.00 looks good so I will order from them again. I have seen a few in North Dallas but nothing past that, I would plant in a sheltered well drained area where it stays a little warmer and you should be fine. I am in 7b 8a line and mine is fine my second is already growing more so I say go for it!

(Zone 8b)

I have two newly planted last year and still quite small. They made it through the winter no trouble. They have planted large ones on the median on some of the local roads too - and they look very healthy.
HTH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.