My latest gourd drawing

(Zone 5a)

I messed up the first one I did of this picture with a new woodburing tool so I had to redraw it. I thought I'd better post it just in case I mess up again, this is all free hand drawn and believe it's not easy to draw on a round gourd. Getting the shading right and the light angle is the hardest.

Thumbnail by windsurffer
Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I used to dance ancient hula in Hawaii and the people who would chant in the "halau" played a gourd drum.(Unadorned, calabash gourds usually, I believe.)Anyway, somehow this nice illustration looks a little Hawaiian at this stage. Great job, and yes, especially on that rounded surface.

(Zone 5a)

Pala this is an Indian with his wolf, since my grandmother on my mothers side was full blooded Choctaw I thought that I would do this in honor of her.

This message was edited Tuesday, Feb 25th 9:06 PM

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

This is my favorite one so far. I like the expression on the boys face. Very determined look.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks and it's my favorite to. I don't think I am going to paint or do anything but spray this one, lord knows I have mess up a few trying to get the look I was going for.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL I thought it was wood burned into it. But you are right about painting it. It looks great with the natural tones.

(Zone 5a)

Zany that is all done with a #2 pencil. You should see the one on the back of it lol, I will have to paint around it.

You So Good! That is Fantastic! I like this one a whole lot and leaving it natural looking would be great looking.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks CoCo but I have to put some highlights around the whole thing because of the drawing on the back that wasn't as nice....sort of a cover up lol.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Wind, if you don't like the drawing on the back couldn't you sand it off?

(Zone 5a)

I did but it leaves a lighter spot than the rest of the gourd. I also tried out my new woodburning iron on it but it's not so bad, I can just blend up a color close to the gourd natural and paint around the picture to make it look like it's high lighted. I finally used my old woodburnner today to out line the drawing and it looks great.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Cool! Post a pic of the finished product for me to drool over!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great job ! Please post again when you get it done would love to see it finished, You do really nice work!

tap, tap, tap. Anxiously waiting for the next picture. We wanta see. Is it finished Yet? ? ? ?

Me get impatient............nah.. hehehe

(Zone 5a)

Zany I sure will.

Iris that is so sweet of you to say, thank you.

Ok CoCo cool your jets *giggles* I need to use your magic wand so I can get it done licky split lol. I am working on three of them at a time now, when I get to the point that I don't like what I see I start another one so I can come back to it later, the OB says I am to hard on myself. I have a problem with drawing everything perfect and if even one little thing is wrong I start over. I know that nothing is perfect but this has been instilled in me from a strong teach in Catholic shcool, she was very hard on me to do everything right the first time.

(Zone 5a)

Zany it doesn't look that much different but here it is, so drool to your hearts content, You know they are all for sale.

This message was edited Tuesday, Feb 25th 9:09 PM

Thumbnail by windsurffer
Crossville, TN

Kit, I LOVE it! Great work...Jo

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Jo, have you decided how your going to decorate yours? I would love to see them when they are finished.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Very nice Windy One! Hope it sells fast so I can know it found a good home. Unfortunately finances here are much too tight to buy anything that is non edible unless I want to give up the internet connection to pay for it :~P

(Zone 5a)

Oh Zany don't feel bad, I am in the same boat thats why I am working so hard to get these finished before Xmas. I would like to get them sold before then so I can help pay off some of these bills.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Windy One, I actually don't feel bad about being on a tight budget for awhile. It makes one put their priorities in order, use a bit of imagination to get things done and challenges the mind figuring out how to keep the things that are important in life together while letting the unimportant things go...plus when we are broke I don't have to go shopping very often and that is great because I never did enjoy shopping :~)

(Zone 5a)

Oh thrifty one if my budget was any tighter I wouldn't be able to breathe. I have always made do with what I have, the only thing I splurge on is my garden but I do save all my coins for that. The last time I went shopping for clothes was about six years ago. I take what I have and re-stitch it to bring it up to date. I don't mind because I don't have time for all the different styles that change with the wind. I do my own hair, I don't buy makeup because I don't wear it. The most shopping I do is for food, and I do the bargan hunt thing even for that. In the summer all I do is by meat, the rest I get from my garden. I also can a lot of that. So dear sister we are very much in the same boat, and it does make you appreciate what you have. Oh I forgot, I do spend some of my little savings on the stray cats that I help as well as my own three. It seems that God always provides a way for me to help them.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

More in common than I realized! I am currently feeding 17 strays that were abandoned at the mill. Have tamed (sort of) half of them so far and taken them in for spaying, neutering and shots. They show up outside the weigh station and wait for me to feed them everyday and seem to know when my days off are and meet me in the other parking lot on Monday and Tuesday everyweek. Bob gave up arguing about it and has started feeding them for me when I am ill :~) They eat better than I do!

(Zone 5a)

Lol lordy are we two big push overs for a little meow. I am so glad that you do help these little ones, don't know what would happen to them without you, God bless you.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I'm a little behind here but, "Your Welcome!" ( ~The post up top a bit)
Zany and Wind, God Bless You Both for your care of your little furry friends!! I sure wish there were many more like you both!! Hug's and Blessings!
~Iris

(Zone 5a)

Iris I just hope and pray that people will take better care of their pets and have them fix so there won't be the problem with stray animals. I know that I am asking too much, but I can still hope.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I Pray and hope for the same wind!

(Zone 5a)

Iris from your mouth to God's ears.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.