Volare Oh Oh Oh !

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Pardon me..., but I'm from da big city. What's a "vole" ?

Adam.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Aotearoa (that's a mouthful!). LOL at your subject line. Voles are rodent critters - here's more info, as found on Google - gotta love it: http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/wildlife/g887.htm

GardenWife ~~~

Many thanks. The only wildlife I deal with on a daily basis are squirrels and flying rodents otherwise known as pigeons. Oh, yeah, lets not forget cockaroaches. And what about those cat sized rats patrolling the subways? Silly me, I nearly forgot our amphibious friends, the alligators kids get as pets in Florida and flush down the toilet when mom says they've gotten too big to live in the bathtub. Our sewers are full of 'em. Really.

Adam.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

When I initially moved to Washington State from Hawaii, at first I thought voles were a special kind-'o-rodent with bright purple feet and legs when the cat would catch them. Then I found out they have a tendency to run through the mashed blackberries in late summer here in the Pacific NW!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL, Pala! That sounds like our Emma this last July, when she and the other dogs enjoyed fresh mulberries: http://davesgarden.com/t/293978/

Adam, at least those gators are too big to get back up through the pipes and nip you while you repose on the great porcelain throne. ;)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I saw a documentary on the alligators that supposedly live in sewer systems of NY and other cities. The 'experts' spent much time(and money I'm sure)disproving this reocurring story. They pointed out that crododiles and alligators are tropical creatures and cannot survive the cold temps of most of the U.S. There also is not enough food down there that is what they would eat for them to survive. They only eat live food, not sewage.

There are some people who make a career out of trying to kill off urban legends. Let me assure you, the legends are ever so much more powerful than a dose of reality. In any event, NYC is a city great and good enough to encompass your pragmatisim as well as a little romantic speculation.

Of course, if you ever have the good fortune to end up here from where~ever in the middle of our good land you actually reside, it'll be my pleasure to show you the sewers of NYC..., as you can get an actual tour.

;~)

Adam.
(changed one word)

This message was edited Sunday, Jan 5th 9:29 PM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Adam,
I have heard that the FSU Seminoles are great Gator Bait! Next time I am in NYC, I would love to see the gators.

I'll tell ya what...

Ya can borrow one of my wife's scuba wet suits and cave diving lamps...,

We'll descend down into the steamy deep with our spearguns, stalking the wild, toothy beasts...,

You bring along some of dem FSU Seminoles fer bait...,

Later we'll fire up da barbie and cook us some tail steaks.

New Yawk Kweezeen at its finast.

;~)

Adam.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Sounds mighty adventurous to me! As long as someone else wrestles dem down and ties dem up. But, we will need a great phtographer for this trip!

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Scuba hunting for voles ... lol

Sounds like a sport I could get into.

Are your American voles as big and vicious as our European Voles? ... Man .... They can tear you leg of with one swivel of their whiskers .. dangerous li'l devils.

*hopalong* Wintermoor

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Kinda like the killer rabbit in Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrail" with big nasty teeth!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.