Hello Everyone at DG's

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

I have been using D.Garden for a few months, but just recently became a subscriber. I am amazed at how nice and helpful the people are that I have met through this sight.

I am fairly new at gardening but am completely hooked on it. I really like vines (mg's and clematis), Dahlia's and Irises and I have a rock garden that I dote on. However this Autumn - I went a little crazy and dug several new garden plots in my back yard and have big plans to grow many things from seed next spring to fill it. One of the plots is on the south side of my house, this is my shade garden. I have bought several interesting shade plants to start filling it - - Walsteinia ternata, 2 diff. Lobelias, Dog's Tooth Lilies. I also have a few seeds I will try too. Besides that I decided to clear the 4ft - 150 ft. of brush that is behind our house - - it runs alongside the woods and was full of poison ivy, prickers and weeds. (Even with gloves, long shirt and pants - I still have poison ivy everywhere - 2 weeks later
:( )
I am turning this into a bed as well. I am trying to put masses of campanula blue and white clips, walsteinia, periscaria bistorta - - and anything else that will give color, choke out the weeds and tolerate some shade.

I also have one other bed that is fully prepared for growing annuals by seeds.

I am also a stay-home Mom of 2 little ones. Fortunately my daughter who is 3 1/2 loves to dig :) and my 1 yr old still takes nice long naps. When I am not gardening - or caring for my kids, I am painting -- oil painting that is.

So that is my gardening venture - - I am really enjoying it and very excited for what will come -- I know there will probably be some failures, but I feel that the successes will be worth it and I'll be sure to post some pictures.

This message was edited Thursday, Nov 14th 7:58 AM

Welcome, Alyssum! Your garden sounds like a lot of fun, and DG is a lot of fun, too. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Welcome to DG from west MD - sounds like you have some garden fun ahead of you. We also put in a rock bed a few years ago, planted it with all blues and whites so it would look like the stream we don't have!
Candee

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Welcome to DG. You'll have a whole bunch of new friends in no time. It sounds like you are a pretty anbitious person to be doing all that digging with 2 little ones. When that littlest one wakes up put a digging tool in his hand and watch him (her?) go! Poison ivy, itchy you. Now that you have pulled out most of the poison ivy the rest might not be such a majoy project to control, just keep the clippers handy and snip when you see it comming back. Candee's idea of using plants to simulate a stream is a good one, I might try that. Again, welcome, we're glad you have joined us. See you around the garden.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Welcome Allysum,

We 've already met eachother in a trade. I'm new on DG also and Want-to-be-a-gardener subscribed me as a large surprise. I know more about you now. I can also picture how your new plantbeds will look like. Beautifull...! I'll keep in touch!

Saya

Crossville, TN

Welcome to Dave's Garden from an old lady in AZ! I hardly knew what pruning shears were when I found this site a year ago...now I know what they are...and am able to ignore them at will!! BUT, I've made some GREAT friends here...and even did some gardening!! Jo

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi again...,

Just thought I'd say..., we've eaten the same pizza, shopped in the same Food Emporium, and probably both avoided the Greentree (argh!).

We don't live in Skyview.., a bit south, west of the HHP.

Your garden plans sound marveously ambitious. My, what a lot of work!

Liking Cortland?

Adam.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Welcome Allysum,
We are glad to have you here with us all. I live in Michigan and its very cold today. i live on a huge farm-no farm life!
i love to garden-i have a 4000sqft garden and growing.
I cant wait for spring to get here!!!
Welcome to daves and have fun!
im dori-notmartha

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Welcome, Alyssum
I am pretty new here myself and have alreay learned so much
from these wonderful people!
Arlene

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone, I just have to write a note here and say how nice everyone has been on this site. It is really been great to have to so many "gardening mentors", I certainly have a lot to learn and some of you have so much to offer --a sincere thanks to you.

Aotearoa, yes we certainly avoided Greentree. :) Riverdale is a wonderful community - in fact, I think it is one of the nicest in NYC - - I really enjoyed the culture and people of that area. Cortlandt Manor is quite nice too, we really love it up here.

To Dori -- I was actually raised next door to you in Wisconsin. Moved to NYC when I was 20. Nothing like those midwest farms, my Dad still lives on one. ----And there is NOTHING like those huge farm gardens. My grandma had zinnia's galore!

Nice to meet everyone and thank you for the gracious and hearty welcome!

This message was edited Sunday, Nov 17th 12:43 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.