(Vanilla imperialis?)

Goteborg, Sweden

I'm not sure of the ID
Family: Orchidaceae
Genus: Vanilla
Species imperialis?

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/54133/

Thumbnail by UlfEliasson

Looks like it to me, maybe our man in Japan can confirm it?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Oh my, gotta find one of those!!

Beautiful plant Cala but too much hard work for my liking ;)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Mmmm. Saw this in the West Indies. Lovely photo Ulf

And welcome to DG, just realised you've joined today - well, yesterday to me as i'm in the UK. I see you've made a load of contributions to the PDB already :)

This message was edited Monday, Nov 4th 7:19 PM

Tokyo, Japan

Thank you for your confidence Baa, but I only grow V. planiflolia. Seems to match this picture though.
http://www.rickstropica.com/vanillaimperialis.html

V. imperialis was/is also known as V. africana, and had/has several subsp. recently raised in rank:

Vanilla africana Lindl. subsp. cucullata (Kraenzl. ex J. Braun & K. Schum.) D.L. Szlachetko & T.S. Olszewski in Fl. Cameroun, 34: 286 (1998): V. cucullata.

Vanilla africana Lindl. subsp. ramosa (Rolfe) D.L. Szlachetko & T.S. Olszewski in Fl. Cameroun, 34: 286 (1998): V. ramosa.

So phi - you sure you saw this in the West Indies? Or were *you* responsible for the missing chunk from that Amanita....???? ;)

(Hmmph) FYI Baa... NO orchid is "too much hard work" :-P

And one more - A Hearty Welcome to DG UlfEliasson!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(And pay no attention to Baa - she only grows roses... ;)

*(Hmmph) FYI Baa... NO orchid is "too much hard work" :-P*

Orchids that require an indecent amount of heat and humidity, and only flower when they reach over 8 feet tall are :P

*And one more - A Hearty Welcome to DG UlfEliasson!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(And pay no attention to Baa - she only grows roses... ;)*

Lophophora only grows Chrysanthemums!

I'm not sure that Ulf can read this.

Well I thought it was this being cultivated in a greenhouse there................
Perhaps i'd had too much ~~rum~~ s*t*a*g*g*e*r

Tokyo, Japan

phi - Understood and apologies tendered. If I'm not sincere, may a flock(?) of Ariteus flavescens nest in my dreadlocks. (and pass the bottle...)

Baa - Southampton Common, Saturday at dawn. Pistols or swords, your choice. Bring a second.

(...and I heard from a reliable source that Baa gets all her annuals from T&M's "NEW!" list, and regularly enters topiary shrubberies at Chelsea...)

(No smiley. I'm serious this time. Really.)

Well! Of all the insults!

My duelling weapon will be barbed wire flails, the sodden ground will be just perfect on Saturday.

Tokyo, Japan

My main weapon will be sarcasm, and a wet noodle...My main *two* weapons will be sarcasm, a wet noodle and the 2nd edition of Horti...My *primary* weapons will... oh sod it all.

Would you like a cuppa dear?

This message was edited Tuesday, Nov 5th 12:50 PM

*My main weapon will be sarcasm, and a wet noodle*

Well armed with such mighty weapons, I'd just have to stand around and wait for the rain to shrink you.

On reflection a cup of chai would be a much better option, if we postpone it to next spring we could go ter. orchid hunting too

Tokyo, Japan

Fine with me.

Sugar?

2 please and a spot of milk (in the cup with the tea)

Scone?

Tokyo, Japan

Oh - those are my favorites, thanks.

Will creme do? Just in special from Normandie.

Cream in tea? Just milk please.

The muffins are under the grill they may take a while.

Tokyo, Japan

Sorry - yanks don't know the difference. A cuppa cafe then? - this creme is *really* good...

OK my arm's twisted cafe with cream it is with a small chocolate biscuit.

Tokyo, Japan

Yum!

ROTFLMBO @ U2!!!!!

Apologies accepted Loph *G*

And if it comes to light that you were not sincere in tendering them, you'll have this one to reckon with (Vampirum spectrum), 'cos this one eats flesh not figs!!!

BTW, watch out for that wet noodle Baa, that'll be the lethal weapon!

Thumbnail by philomel

Thanks for the warning Philomel, I shall be armed with Pot Noodles in case of a sneak attack.

From the above it looks more likely to be a snack attack

Tokyo, Japan

Wow! Tha's 'way kewl phi!!! (forgive me - bats bring out the adolescent in me...)

Hey - I heard that there was some secret research in the UK during WWII about using bats to drop incendiary devices on occupied European territories...

Could we rig up something to drop firecrackers near Baa's place? (Hehehehehe bwaaaahahahahaha! - I'm just *pretending* to forgive that bit about chrysanthemums....)

They'd have trouble navigating tonight Loph - it's November 5th.............bonfire night.........Guy Fawkes...........fireworks everywhere going
WH.................OOOOOOOOOOOO........SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
CR * * * * A* * * *CK
BBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

splutter

*grin*

Tokyo, Japan

*LOL*

phi - "snack attack" is what your V. spectrum does!

Sorry - I just don't have the right saliva for that job....

(groan)

Oh i was thinking of your scones and cream (longingly)
Surely you have the right saliva for that?
:P

Goteborg, Sweden

The plant grows at the Botanical Garden of Gothenburg.

Oh that's great Ulf - so is that where you took the beautiful photo?

Goteborg, Sweden

Yes, the image was taken in the greenhouses. I manage a collection of epiphytic cacti at the Botanical Garden of Gothenburg - but couldn't resist this beauty.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

In Göteborg Botanical Garden? =)

Goteborg, Sweden

Göteborg and Gothenburg is the same.....

ha, so you posted at the same time as me.... Was just saying to Philomel as she askd where it was taken.

Goteborg, Sweden

I plan to take many photos from that garden, but my camera is not taking clar pictures at the moment.....

Look forward to them Ulf :)
Hope you get the camera sorted!

LOL Evert :oD

Ulf, du är som jag, jag har tagit många foton i Helsingfors Botaniska Trädgård. Flera av den har jag laddat hit i PDB.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.