HELP! My gourds are in trouble!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

I would like to ask my fellow gourd growers, who are so much more knowledgable about gourds and their problems than I, for help!

Can anyone tell from these pictures what is wrong with them? My bottleneck gourd plant only has the one gourd on it and it didn't get very large at all, it seems to have stopped growing. Now there are these critters and what appears to be a powdery stuff on the leaves of both my bottleneck and birdhouse gourds. UGHHHHHHHHH Please, can anyone tell me what to do for my poor babies!

The birdhouse has about a dozen gourds on it and I really don't want to loose them.

Thanks all,
Annie & Mike

Thumbnail by FLSuncoast
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

HELP! My gourds are in trouble! Picture 2

Thumbnail by FLSuncoast
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

HELP! My gourds are in trouble! Picture 3

Thumbnail by FLSuncoast
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

HELP! My gourds are in trouble! Picture one of my birdhouse gourds.

Thumbnail by FLSuncoast
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

HELP! My gourds are in trouble! Birdhouse #2

Thumbnail by FLSuncoast
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

E-mail windsurfer...she knows everything about gourds

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh, FL, I'm sorry :( I'm not sure what you've got there. We battled squash bugs and milder here in Ohio. I've not seen anything like the picture in your first post. Have you tried spraying them with any type of insectide - store bought or home made type solutions?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Annie, send these photos to Cala, or send her a link. I bet she would be able to tell you

(Zone 5a)

FlS you have an infestation of bugs that are eating your gourd leaves in the first photo. You need to spray them with seven pestiside on the whole plant make sure you get under the leaves as well, also remove as many as the infested leaves as you can. I promise it won't hurt your plant.

The second photo has fungus and you need to spray for that, I also cut as many as those leaves off as I can. When you water your gourds don't water the leaves but water the base of the plant, watering the leaves promotes fungus.

You also need to feed them every two weeks durning the growing season and give them plenty of water. I am not sure how humid it is in FL right now but you don't have to water as much when it is. You still should use a fungicide at the first sign of fungus. I hope this help you with your gourds.
Also you may want to talk to some one in your garden center about how offten to water and feed your gourds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.