Sport

A bronze coloured sport has appeared on the Chrysanthemum Mei-Kyo in the garden, unfortunately, it's nothing new. I'll just have to try for a blue flowered foxglove to make my name instead *G*

Thumbnail by Baa
Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Baa, I didn't know flowers had the sporting ability. Thought it was just stems (leaves). I learn something new every day. Thanks!

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 30th 4:12 PM

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's fascinating. Lovely picture Baa

Golddog

Asteraceae has a habit of changing flower colours due to some very complicated colour genetics. I wrote something about it previously (although the fully story is enough to make my brain fall out and I wouldn't dare attempt it!)

Thanks Philomel.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Baa, I was just visiting the thread about the Golden Anniversary lamium sport, and it reminded me of this thread, as well. I have this idea... what if Garden Terms could include photos? Your pic and PoppySue's could be included as examples. What do you think? By the way, is a two headed flower a sport or does it just refer to occasions when plants revert to an original species?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The two headed ones are fasciations (sp?). It seems to happen a lot in the daisy family.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Check out this lily Weez - http://davesgarden.com/t/282008/

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, PoppySue: I just checked it out in Garden Terms, and found that I could add a photo. Cool! http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/1866

You can add photos to garden terms!

The plant you have in you photo is in a form of proliferation, caused by genetics or damage to the bud (or leaf in foliage proliferation) it's very common in Asteraceae (this famiy has very complicated genetics)

Here's one of my Calendulas showing the mutation.
http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=14974

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Gee ... I didn't know we could we could add picture either!

Sorry I must have been typing at the same time as you two :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wow! That's some lily... looks like lilies on fertility drugs, PoppySue.

Well, Baa, was I correct to post the double headed pyrethrum to the the term fasciation? I think it would be great to see more examples. These terms are much more easily defined when illustrations are added.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

How come fasciation is not highlighted so we can click on it?

Looky there... of course it works when I ask!

This message was edited Friday, Nov 22nd 6:08 PM

Not really WZ

Fasciation is the malformation of plant stems, causing a flattened bundle appearence (fascies being Latin for bundle)

Proliferation is the development of a plant part beyond the point of normal growth.

This message was edited Friday, Nov 22nd 6:14 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think I should become better acquainted with Garden Terms. I can see more possibilities now! Yes, interesting about it not highlighting before...curiouser and curiouser!

LOL posting at the same time again :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

So a double header is not a fasciation? Should we have the photos moved?

Hang on let me research a bit more :)

Hmm interesting, I can't find a definitive answer right now. Will search more tomorrow :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Now I've started another can of worms, haven't I! I'll check back tomorrow to see what comes of it.

Right, here's what I could scrape out of the barrel. It's not been easy and there is so much contradiction it's hard to say what is what. As always I'm open to discussion on this.

I've already said about proliferation so I won't bore you all again :)

Fasciation is something that affects individual stems (causing that bundle appearance) so a double flower arising from a single point on the stem may be caused by fasciation. So the question is, were the heads fused together? Or did they arise from separate stems (such as the one in the Calendula photo)?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

So, if I am understanding this correctly, if the stem is normal, but the bloom is double-headed, it is a case of proliferation. If it were a case of fasciation, the stem would most likely be mutated, as well. On the Garden Terms page for fasciation Mark posted a good example of stem deformity, but I think my pyrethrum is probably in error: http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/1866.html

It's a tough one WZ

On the photo Mark posted the flowers are obviously fused, the flowers on your photo look separate but that's not to say it's still not fasciation, if the bases of the flowers were fused then yes it's in the correct place. To be honest there is so little information out there on floral proliferation and fasciation it's hard to say what is absolutely correct.

If your flowers had little stalks coming from one calyx then we could probably say yes it is proliferation. Until I can find out more I really can't give a definite answer :(

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, if you can't tell from the pic, nobody else can, & I can't say absolutely how the flower came from the stem. Next time I'll take it from that angle too! Guess I'll just leave my photo where it is. Thanks, Baa.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Baa: I don't see proliferation in the Garden Terms. Could you add it?

I would if I had more precise information WZ :) At present I couldn't give much more than the sparsest of details and I don't want to perpetuate what is already confusing on the web. I've been trying to locate a British plantsman who writes a journal on plant mutations but his website has disappeared. I'll get around to writing to Alternatives
http://website.lineone.net/~altern

If you get time have a look at Bellis perennis prolifera on her plant photos page.

I'm going to give up botany and collect bone china pieces instead *G*

This message was edited Saturday, Nov 23rd 6:31 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

LOL, Baa! I'm sure it's just as easy to open a can of worms when collecting bone china as it is with plants! Ah, but at least bone china is always in season, not buried in snow or lying there with all it's leaves fallen off. You can always have a good look at it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.