shed to greenhouse

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I could use some of your expertise. My husband has agreed to let me take over his tool shed and make it into a greenhouse. The problem is that other than skylights in the ceiling, there are no windows. I mainly want to use this to house my hoya collection and over winter a few tropicals and brugs. It is only about 15 ft. long and 6 ft. wide and 8 ft. high. I plan to put hanging
florescent fixtures in for additional light and am wondering if a small ceramic heater would provide enough heat. I need to keep it at least in the 55 degree range. I also thought of using the reflective insulation for addition light to the plants and keeping the cold out. I am in zone 9 so our coldest nights on a rare occassion get down to around 25but normal winter temps. can get down to around 27. Any idea's would be much appreciated.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you have a great start. The lights will put out some heat too. I'm sure the small heater would be plenty. We are in zone 7b and I just have a small utility heater too, works great even in the coldest days and nights. We have several nights in the teens and below some winters. Especially if you insulate it - Light would be your biggest problem. I find that with mine made of wood and corregated clear panels, it really gets too hot in the winter when the leaves are down, many days I have to prop the door open, the temp will go to 100 on bright January days. We have now installed a fan tho so if it goes up over 80 it will come on automatically.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

PJ, have y'all ever figured the heating cost on it??

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope! But the heater usually only runs at night - I don't think it adds much really.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, I guess that is what I will do. I am going to have
to completely depend on florescent lights for my lighting source this winter. Hopefully next year I will be able to
get the windows in. The heating cost has been a big concern. I know my husband would really balk if our electic bill went up. It is always in the hundreds as it is in the winter, so it is a very big deal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.