Vine growing newbie needs help

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought 3 clematis this past May - - 1 did just fabulous, but 2 didn't do much of anything (no new growth). These two didn't seem too happy as they were in too much shade, so I moved them. They are still green as it heads into winter. Since these are the first vines I have ever grown, can someone please coach me in what to do next, trim them down, leave them - - feed them, ignore them, etc. etc. I would be so grateful for this info!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

the base of the plants should be shaded,the rest of it need sun!
leave them alone till next year.Don't cut them

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Alyssum, depending on what kind of clematis they are, it can be very normal for them to not show any new top growth for a year or two; some grow really long vines, and they must put down an extensive root system before they put much top growth. Sweet autumn clematis is a good example.

Clematis do best in soil that is somewhat alkaline; they aren't terribly heavy feeders, but appreciate somewhat loose soil (not solid clay anyway). They need something to twine around; they flower best as the tops of the vine starts to grow downward, away from the support (this is true of almost all vines).

Hope this helps!

Batesville, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a little ditty I once found about CLEMATIS, and it is true:
The first year they sleep.
The second year they creep.
The third year they leap.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Andrea, If you addicted to vines like some here you will discover the huge family of morning glory. They are an annual but my oh my what variety and beauty. For years I was afraid of them thinking of that horribly invasive bindweed. But I broke down and bought a package of Heavenly Blue and oh what fun they are to watch grow and flower. I have seen others pictures posted here all summer on such beauties. They even gave information to another websight called swallowtailseeds.com that show many other kinds of wonderful annual vines. In fact I am taking out a purple older clematis on the porch just to make room for some new MG's.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Please let me know the names of the Clematis that you have. I can give you more information if I know the variety.

There are three different groups of these vines. I wouldn't worry about them not losing their leaves yet. They will when they are ready. My clematis all have their leaves and probably will until there is a hard and prolonged freeze.

DO NOT FEED clematis in the wintertime. Like many other plants & vines, it is slowing down to go into dormancy. You don't want to feed it now. Please wait until springtime, when it breaks out of dormancy. Clematis should be fed again monthly from spring until summer to encourage flowering and hardy root formation. If you happen to grow roses, you can use the same fertilizer on your clematis that you use on your roses.

I hope you enjoy growing your clematis. Please be patient with this vine. It is well worth the wait :~)

Shirley: 2 of them are Jackmanii - dark purple. One looks exactly like Jackmanii but is lavender.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting the names, Alyssum. That will help a lot.

C. Jackmanii is late flowering (July-September) and large blossom variety. It grows about 14-22ft. tall and produces lots of dark purple flowers with green stamen. This particular cultivar is in the Group III category, which means that it gets a "hard pruning". Flowers are formed on the current year's growth and the vine is cut back to approximately 3-5' above the ground in early winter. I know that this seems drastic, but it helps to prevent the clematis from becoming to "leggy".

"One looks exactly like Jackmanii but is lavender", might be C. Jackmanii Superba. The color is described as deep violet-blue and the flower is slightly wider than Jackmanii. Same height and pruning applies.

Without being absolutely sure of the "lavender" cultivar, I am just giving you an educated guess. I would suggest that next summer when it blooms, take a close-up picture of it, and post it on the vine & climbers or identification forums. That way you will hopefully discover its true identity.

Actually - the color could be better described as a light purple/pink.

Maybe that will aid you in identifying it?

"the color could be better described as a light purple/pink" is not enough information. Quite a few factors are needed in order to make an accurate or close to accurate identification. Height, bloom time, color of flower, color of sepals, number of petals, shape of petals & bloom are some of the criteria. Without a close-up picture of the leaves, blossoms & sepals, it is very difficult to even make an educated guess.

I would suggest looking at the following websites, listed at the bottom of this message, where you will learn a lot about various types of clematis, propagation, growing different cultivars, seed cultivation, fertilization, diseases, etc. Since you know what the flower & vine look like, I would suggest looking through their photo galleries and see if you can come close to a match. Please let us know if you are successful or not. Good Luck!

http:www.homeofclematis.net
http:www.britishclematis.org.uk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.