Painting Gourds

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

It's that time of the year again to pick a winter hobby, This year among my other hobby's, I'd like to set aside a little time for some 'Gourd Painting' ~ I did some in the past, But, Traded or gave most of those to people I know, Time to make some 'New Ones" If anyone has any idea's on crafting or painting them a special way ( I use bottle/birdhouse gourds) or has pic's of some that they would like to share, That would be great ~ This is a quick pic of a few that I have already painted ~

Thumbnail by IRIS
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh IRIS... that's so beautiful, you did doing great job painting. I loves it.

This message was edited Thursday, Oct 24th 1:05 AM

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow Iris they are beautful. I think I see one of those with my name on it. lol Hugs

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

RR, Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked them ~ I'm trying to learn 'One-Stroke Painting" Hoepfully I'll get good at it down the road and make some really nice gourd paintings.

Mystic, Thank you! :)
Where did you say your name was? LOL! I'm keeping you in mind.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow!...been holding out on us, eh? Eh?
I should encourage you to "widen your horizons"...ever painted a Bushel gourd? Want to?? ô¿ô

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Nope, I have never painted a bushel gourd, But, Would I want to? ~ "Yup' I sure would! :)

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I love the effect of the ivy leaves on the one gourd on the upper right ~ a penguin gourd? I love them all, but that one just melted my heart :)

Did you put shellac over your art to protect it? How well do these hold up outside with the weather & all? Can you tell that I'll have gourds on my mind this winter, too?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Morph, I don't know what kind of gourd that is on the uper right, I grow most of my gourds , but,Some gourds I buy if I see them around for sale, And that was one of them.
I painted that one with a kit from 'wallmart'.. It was the kind that has the little black sponges that you wet with paint and dab on. This particular kit had the ivy leaf sponge and grape sponge , Just had to draw the vine (very easy to do)
...I put shellack on all the gourds when I get done painting them, It gives them a beautifull shine and really brings the color out, Plus it helps protect them. They hold up pretty well outside ( I keep mine on a screened porch though and take them in in the fall) If you put them in the sun, I find that it really fades them out, And you have to be really carefull if you have sguirrels around because they like to chew them, It's very annoying when you put so much work into a painted gourd and a squirrel decides to chew it! It's a good idea to give them another coat of shellack every year or two because the weather does wear on the original coat.
I'll say also that you should paint the gourd a solid color before you do art work on it because it really brings that art work out as opposed to not painting it ~ ( To me anyway)
I'll post a close up this evening of one that has a solid color with art and one that does not, And you will see the difference, I can also let you know how you can paint anything at all that peaks your interest and do it like a professional, Even if you have never painted in your life. ( All you would need is whatever peaks your interest and a little imagination) Another words, If you liked 'hummingbirds' or 'wolves' or be it whatever, You could paint it on a gourd.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

"solid color base and non-solid color base"
Here's a front view of gourds that show the difference , I think the art-work stands out more with a solid color base ( Especially if the bass color is white, This one happens to be stained in 'mahogany'

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

"Backside View"~

Thumbnail by IRIS
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh, wow, what a difference ~ you're right. I do like the darker one that shows the contrast!

I so appreciate the insight on painting the gourds! I would indeed love to learn how to paint them! I'm also very interested in learning how to burn designs onto them. I'm mostly a nature fanatic (animals in particular ~ funny that you mention wolves cuz they are a favorite :) I also love American Indian designs. And, not surprisingly, I have not and have never painted. So, I really don't know where to begin.

I guess I'm a little bummed about the squirrels :( I really want to make bird houses that are usable. But, I see your point about putting all that work into it and then having them eaten by the darned squirrels... Is there not a spray or application that can be applied that would have a nasty enough taste to prevent the appeal of these to the squirrels?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Morph, The gourd on the right in the picture 'is' burned and painted, I used a wood burner and then painted it in. But only burned the outline of it all.
I will send you an e-mail soon and try to explain how to put what you would like on your gourds.
I'm a 'Nature Nut" too LOL! I too also like "Wolves" amongst many other animals ( Especially the 'Lynx') And indian designs also ~ Boy, we're a lot alike! LOL!
I, Like you, Was hoping to use the gourds as birdhouses , And I do, Just not the painted ones ~ I had some extra's that were misshaped or not good for painting and I hang them out because it doesn't really matter to me if the squirrels chew them or not, I have actually had a woodpecker drilling on one once!
Keep in mind that squirrels can and do rob birdnests and when a bird makes a nest in a birdhouse and a squirrel finds it, It will actually chew the entrance hole to get at the nest, It will do the same with a gourd birdhouse, Only the gourds are a lot easier to chew! I have never tried any kind of spray or deterrent because I didn't want to take the chance with a painted gourd
What I do plan on doing though, Is making a fenced in area where I can hang the gourds so that the birds can use them, But, The squirrels can't get in, I also am planning on making a hanger for the houses using a bicycle rim, If it's far enough away from trees, And the pole is wide enough, The squirrels won't be able to get to the houses.
I had painted a gourd with hummingbirds on it and gave it to someone as a gift, She had told me a while later that the squirrels got to it and chewed it up, So be real carefull where you put them. I have to add that out of all the plain gourds I hung out in the tree's, The squirrels only chewed one of them and it was the same one the woodpecker drilled on. Are you planning on base-coating yours or staining them or both? ( I have used shoe-dye before too) Do you have dried gourds with the entrance holes in them allready? I will send you an e-mail about the 'painting part' when I have a bit of extra time to explain it, but, It will be soon.

Crossville, TN

Iris, I'm getting a lot fo knowledge out of your posts.... thanks....Jo

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

RR, YW! :)
If there is anything that you want to know that you think I might be able to answere, Just ask, And I will be happy to tell you.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow ~ thanks for all the useful info! I'm trying to picture in my mind what you are describing with the fenced area to keep the squirrels out. I'm having a hard time picturing it.

I don't know the difference between a base coat vs. stain. But, if it's similar to house painting, then I'd prefer a stain.

Also, thanks for offering the email details of painting & designing gourds! I can't wait to read that :)

I could go on all night, but I've gotta run...

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

The fenced area would be a an enclosed wire area , I was thinking of making a long squared frame ( not wide), But long running along a tree line that I have, I will fence in all around it with a fencing that birds can get through, But, squirrels and cats,and racoons and such, can't ~ That way, The gourds and the nests would be safe ... I have a double, 'Extra long" dog kennel that I am going to use for this purpose also, I just need to fence in the top of it and then I could hang out all the gourds for the birds to use without worrying about them.
What I mean by a base-coat is: A solid color of paint/ or stain on the gourd before you do your 'Art-Work' or 'design' ~ You can use house paint or craft paint or any stain ... The 'paint' usually needs a couple good coats, But the stain only needs one.
YW about the help with painting and designs, I know I haven't sent them yet, But I will, I have been very busy and haven't got to do it yet, I try to get a few minutes on here or answering e-mails when I take a break, But, I need extra time to try and write an e-mail with the de-tails, But, I'll try to get it done soon.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Okay, now this makes more sense about the fencing. Actually, you've given me probable insight about why all of the roosting nests I put outside this year did not get any tenants. I didn't realize how much the squirrels interferred with nests.

I think I will have to pursue your ideas for enclosing some bird safe areas for next spring.

Thanks so much for taking the time to make it clearer and for the details on your painting techniques!

Warmest wishes...

Crossville, TN

Iris...when you send that email...how about adding me to the send list? Thanks in advance cause I know you for the sweet thing you are!! Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Jo, I asked Iris if she might consider posting right here in the forum, too. It definitely would need a new thread :) She describes it so you can clearly understand. I know it's her call on whether to post or email, but she was so nice to take the time in writing out the details when she was SO tired!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Here goes at your request:This is the E-Mail that I sent to Morph on 'Painting the Gourds" ... Hope it helps you, I think I'm going to add it to the forum because I had extra E-mails asking about it .... The one thing I forgot to add to Morphs at the time though was that if she was going to use someone elses design, To ask for there permission first, But, There are many books out there to choose from that offer there drawings for free ....Good Luck To You! ~ Iris ~>
Hi,
I'm going to try and explaine a bit about painting the gourds ~ I'm really tired, But, I'm goingto try anyway ~ First of all, Seeing that you have never painted before, Try this ~ Take a cleaned gourd with an entrance hole cut in it and the holes for the hanger already cut in it and don't forget the drainage holes atn the bottom so that if the rain gets in the gourd, It will drain out at the bottom ~ paint the gourd white .... get some carbon paper , Find some drawings that you like , clip them out ( I get a lot of mine from 'craft books' such as 'wood -burning' 'glass-etching', 'flower designs' ect. ...I find alot of these at yard-sales or you can get them at book-stores also) Once you have clipped out what you like, tape it to about the same size piece of carbon paper ( Make sure the drawing you pick is taped on top of the 'dull side' of the carbon paper) and keep in mind that the more de-tailed the drawing or picture is, the harder it's going to be to paint ~ now tape the carbon paper and picture you chose to the part of the gourd you want to add the drawing to and trace it onto the gourd, Whe you are done, paint it in ~ I use the small bottles of 'folk art' paint that you can get at wall-mart or other crafts stores for about a dollar a bottle and they go a long way , Once you have everything painted the way you want it, Varnish the gourd ( This protects it and the gloss really brings the colors out! ) You can put a drawing of a butterly in the front and hummingbird in the back and a flowered vine going up the neck of the gourd ... Any design you want ...This is kinda the hard way of doing it, But, I think yo will be quite happy with the finshed product! .... You can also get the 'sponge' applicators,   which you put paint on them and then just press the design on the gourd, ( Not a lot to choose from in that catagory though ) You can also take 'paper clippings' from magazines and such, and glue them to the gourd and then varnish over it ( I have done this before) Actually, The stained gourd in the post that has the angels on it is one that I did like that ... the 'angel's' are paper, and the rest is hand painted. .... The reason why I say to paint the gourd white ( Or a light color) is because the carbon paper will trace good on it, If the gourd is stained, You will not be able to trace on it, You will either have to use 'paper' or stickers or hand-paint it .... If you want to eer try hand-painting .. I suggest getting the 'One-Stroke Painting' kit at a craft shop ...I'm learning that now, And the roses and vine that are on the gourd with the angels, Is my first attempt at the "One-Stroke Painting' and it didn't come out to bad. LOL! I have also 'wood-burned' gourds, But, I like how the look painted better. If you have a printer, I can send many easy designs to get you started ~ I'm pretty sure that once you have done one or two , You will be hooked, And well on your way to making some neat designs!! If you have any questions or if there is something you don't understand, Let me know and I will try to help you ... I must add that 'painting the gourd designs will last longer then if you glue designs on. I am attaching a drawing of the fairy that I used in the picture that's posted of the gourds , I think you will know what I mean if you look at the drawing and then look at the picture in the post ( It's how I paint a lot of my gourds ) I can send alot of easy designs for you to work with, And after you have done a couple gourds, then you would be able to go onto doing a wolf or whatever you wanted, Maybe even from the beginning, It's up to how you feel. Well, Good Luck ! And let me know if you would like me to send yousom designs that I have ( I have some that would be good for you) Only problem is, I don't have a computer, I'm on a 'web-tv' so I would have to send the designs one at a time if thats ok with you, Well ,LMK ok .... I'm off to bed now LOL! . ...Dont forget to check out the drawing below and compare it with the one thats posted at the forum so you will understand better ok Nity -nite, And I hope you have a great day today! ~Iris ~~~>
P.S Here is link ( http://community-2.webtv.net/HARLEYOMAN57/HOMEMADE/) to a page thats on my'Homepage'which will show this same 'Fairy Lady' again, But, this is a drawing that was done on slate, Just another example to show that you can pretty much put them on anything that you can trace on ( Which they do look nice on slate also ) Good Luck to All Who want to try this, I'm sure you will all do well, If there are any questions , Feel free to E-mail me and I will get back to you as soon as I can ~Iris

This message was edited Monday, Oct 28th 5:09 PM

This message was edited Monday, Oct 28th 5:12 PM

This message was edited Monday, Oct 28th 5:14 PM

Thumbnail by IRIS
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Iris!!! It's nice to have it posted here, too, on the off chance that I lose your email or my hard drive (knocking on wood) would crash.

TOTALLY cool stuff these gourds are!!!! Did I mention that when we did our 15 minute sweep of the Ohio Gourd Show, my son fell in love with the LONG handle dipper gourds? They were about 8' to 10' high! I'm going to have to build a structure that will allow them to grow that long. I'm hoping that I can build a structure that will work for growing these as well as for keeping out the squirrels! I still need to find the seeds for these, though.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Morph, Your quite welcome! I found the best way for me with idea's on something that I got here or on the web, Was to print it out and put it in my 'Gardening idea's' folder, That way, I would always have it handy and I wouldn't have to go on the web and look it up if needed it.
Gourds are pretty neat! I was only interested in painting them as birdhouses, But, It's amazing to see how many different things people make with them and use them for!
8-10ft Dippers must have been a site to see! I've never known of any being over 5ft. ~ It got my interest now, I want to try those next year too!! LOL! I'd like to make a 'Dream-Catcher' in the bowl end and a rattle and feathers at the other end with some painting and swade (SP) strips going up the neck ~ I guess I'll have to think of a structure to grow them on too. I did come across some sites that had 'Long Dipper Gourd Seeds", I'll have to go back and find them and send them to you.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes, I'm going to try to find out the name of the man at the show who had these dippers. It'll be hard, I suppose, but where there's a will there's a way. I wouldn't want my son to be disappointed with a small dipper (lol)! I think I'll ask a few of the people who had booths at the Ohio Gourd show and see if they might remember the man who had these. They had been harvested this year so they may be a very new variety that he was able to grow. They were very impressive! They'd have to be for my son to take such an interest :)

(Zone 5a)

Iris I love your gourds they are beautiful. For a first time one stroke painting you did a great job, thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Morph, Why don't yo start by calling the 'American Gourd Society"? I noticed that they have ads for all the gourd shows that have been going on so there's a good possibility they would know where you could find what you are looking for. If I saw some that size, I'd be interested in the seeds from those particular ones too!! Good Luck To You! And if I come across any sites that are selling seeds from Dipper gourds that size, I'll sent the site along to you ASAP.

Windsurffer... TY very much! I've been experimenting with the "one stroke painting' here and there since I've done that gourd, Seems the more I work wih it, The better and easier it gets, Be a while before I get good at it tho! I'm hoping this winter, When I'll have extra time, That I'll get good enough at it to make a painting that will really stick out LOL! YW for the idea's , I hope they help out those who want to use them.

This message was edited Tuesday, Oct 29th 9:45 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Morph...click the following link to see a nice-sized long-handled gourd (and some other huge ones). Then if that is what you want click "seeds" (at the bottom of the page) and order some. Right now there is still more left, altho some varieties are sold out. I'd get your order in so when they start shipping in Jan you'll be sure to have yours.http://www.mindspring.com/~harryhurley/picture.htm

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Shoe! I just sent Mr. Harry Hurley an email asking him which was longer: the Extra Long Dipper gourds or the Long (snake) gourds. I hope it's not the snake cuz it looks like those are sold out already. But, he does have a nice selection!

Iris, I'm half tempted to drive over to Indiana and take a look in person at the gourds at Sandlady's Gourd Farm! It's probably a good 4 or 5 hour drive, but I like doing things spur of the moment if I can get the right things in place to go :)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Morph, Your a lot like me LOL! If that place was that close to me, I'd be going myself! If you end up going, Let me know how you make out ok? (I have a feeling if you go, Your going to come back with a load of gourds!! LOL) Good Luck To you! I wish there was a place close around to where I live that I could get some dried ones, There was a place I got some last year, But, She didn't have any this year ( Darn) but, At least I do have some to work on this winter.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Iris come see me and we will go to this farm and spend the day. http://new.enterit.com/TOM3334

IRIS, those are absolutely gorgous. Gourds is one thing that I haven't never paited yet. Looks like fun. Being I never painted on gourds,I wonder if a person could use a wood burning tool and do a design instead of painting. Don't know if a person could even use a wood burning tool on gourds, but I think that would be neat if a person could.
What you all think/

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Yardbird, Believe me, If I could, I would!! I have this particular site saved in one of my files because I was thinking about ordering some of them big 'kettle gourds' down the road ... But my, Would I love to just go see that place!! Have you been there before??

CoCo, TY much! :)
You 'can' use a woodburning tool on them, I have done it before ( I like how they look painted more so then woodburned tho) The gourd at the top right with the 'fairy' on it was woodburned first to do all the outlining and then painted in. I didn't woodburn it deeply because I just wanted to ouline the drawing, But, You can definately woodburn them.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Iris have you thought of opening a store here on Dave's, I'm sure you could sell some, they are beautiful. Everyone isn't so crafty as you, but they appreciate pretty things.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Azalea, TY for the compliment on them! :)
I never thought of selling them at a store here, And have never sold any before, I made some to hang on my porch and others I used for gifts to give people.
I guess when I get some more painted up, I'll post a pic and see if anyone would be interested in them and maybe go from there.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

What a fascinating thread. I'm enjoying lurking on this one.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Iris, no I havn't been yet it just 45 minutes from me but just havn't been but plan to go in a wk or two and get a few gourds to play with.

Ruth

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Pala, Glad you enjoy this thread, Jump in anytime, Would love to hear whatever input youu have! :)

..Yardbird, Only forty five minutes away?? Om My, I would never have lasted long without going to visit that place if I was there!!! LOL!! You might want to get more then a few if you go Ruth, They can be pretty addictive once you start working on them! Let me know what it was like there and what you ended up with when you go ok? And have have fun! I wish I lived closer and I could go with you!

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Can't find the ones I did 5 years ago. I gave them away too. Both of these have lids (the turtle tail lifts the lid) and are finished inside with joint compound (drywall finishing stuff) that I tinted with the paint. The turtle got a coat of clear acrylic, the Dogwood didn't (and has since been destroyed in a household accident).

Thumbnail by maggidew
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Very nice!!

(Zone 5a)

Beautiful gourds.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

MaggieDew, Great Job! They are both really nice, But I just 'Love' the turtle one!! What a nice idea and great job you did!! Sorry to hear the "Dogwood" one got ruined! Planning on doing some more soon?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.