Barefoot and Bushel Gourd

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

While out wandering around yesterday I noticed about nine or ten of my gourds are ready to harvest. 'Tis getting a bit cool around here lately so was checking around. This one, and several others, are still going strong on healthy green vines so will leave them till they quit growing. This one might be a prized one this year.
(I put a quart Mason jar next to it to show its size.) (Oh yeh, and inserted one of my 'size tens' in there too.)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

WOW!! That thing is HUGH!! and that gourd is sure big too! LOL If you decide to trade out some seeds form that big ole thang I want on the list!! Looks like a must have for my garden next year!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

HAH!....I'm laffing out loud here, Mollybee! Reckon you're referring to my foot, eh? (Actually, you should see the size of my MIL's feet...one of hers could knock a farm gate open long b4 the rest of her gets there!)

When I make a post about seeds from one of these giants be sure to holler for some. I'm sure they'll be some available.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

LOL I'll be on the lookout for your post.

Crossville, TN

Now! Ain't that thar a purty site??? Whatcha gonna make out of it Shoe?? I'll be glad to take it off your hands. LOL Jo

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Hey Shoe, I think I got you beat!
I took a picture of Frank tonight with one of the "Eagle Gourds" we harvested ... It's a bit dark ( I took it in the late evening) But, You'll get the picture! I'll send one your way if you want ( In trade for your's of course LOL ) But, I'd have to send it by truck ... If you'd prefere seed's instead, I'll send one per baggy LOL!! Congrat's on 'your' gourd! It's a biggy!! Did you grow that in one of those spots that you had the "Chicken tractor??" Well, check out our 'Eagle Gourd" ~~>
http://community.webtv.net/irislynx/EAGLEHOUSEGOURD

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

IRIS! Well shut my pie-hole! Nice to see ya here!

Secondly, that is one big mama!!! When I grow up I wanna grow a gourd just like that!!

Hope ya'll decide to make a dog house or something outta that thing! Heck with making a bird house!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

WOW so big .. shoe, Can I have some seeds from you? LMK

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

RR, I'll post when seeds are available, okay? (I still have some of last years Giant also...I'm sure they're still vialble.)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Horeshoe, Nice to be here, And nice to talk to you again!
You sound just like me when you talk ~ I never wanna grow up niether!!LOL!! ~ Dog house sounds like a pretty good idea for it ( wish they really grew that big LOL! Don't think it would last long as a dog house though!)
By the way, What are you going to make with yours?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...welp, I haven't decided yet. I still have some of last years (dried now!) that I didn't do anything with. Perhaps when I force myself to slow down more I'll take some time to "craft" them into something.
Would love to make some sewing baskets for the wimmin-folk here! We'll see!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

What a wonderfull idea!! If you do get a chance to do that I for one, Would love to buy one from you ~ 1~ because I have never had a gourd basket and 2~ because it would be coming from a fellow DGr
which makes it special to me!
(Horseshoe, Take time for yourself, Life goes by way too fast not too 'As I'm sure you allready know" but wanted to mention it just for a reminder for you. )

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow ~ now that's a gourd! As DH would say, "Gotta get a gourd" ~ lol :) I just love it when he says that! ~ giggle ~

Shoe, I hope you can save some seeds for me, too. Or, if I pursue a gourd seed exchange late winter, this will definitely be a hit! I don't know of anyone else that has been growing this variety.

Did you have any problems with mildew or gourd eating bugs? Your environment for growing gourds looks ideal though I know your side dressings probably had something to do with your huge success, too!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy morph...
No problems worth mentioning, I just plant them and once they're established do very little to them. This year we such a severe drought I didn't know how well they would do. I may have watered them from time to time but not much. Then we finally started getting bushels of rain and they kicked back in gear. (One of those rains flooded my shoffice! Almost 8 inches of rain in 12 hrs.)
Didn't see many bugs messing w/these babies either. In a separate area I have some dippers growing and there was some eggs/bugs on it while it was young. Looked similar to young squash bugs.
As for these Bushel grourds, the plants got so big I couldn't side-dress 'em..they'll just sprawled everywhere! In the weeds, thru the asparagus row, on top of the greenhouse!!
I'll be bringing in about 10 of these babies this wkend, their vines are nice and dried. The one in the above pic is still green and growing nicely, as well as about 4 more just like it.
Here is a pic from last year tho of two plants that were growing up the deck and, as you can see, nearly onto the roof!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And, also from last year, a few from the garden area. As you can see, the majority of them didn't gain a lot of size. I think I have more of the bigger ones this year.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Crossville, TN

AHHH! Shoe, I'll take that one with the blue hat on...the one that fell off the cart!! Peek-a-boo Alex!! Jo

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

HAH! I wondered who'd see that!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Shoe, You wouldn't want to sell that there first one on the left would you???

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I hadn't thought of those bushel gourds getting even bigger! How much do you think one would weigh? I'd suspect it's going to take a mighty long time to dry your bigger gourds, eh?

The squash bugs were all around my luffas & gourds. But, they were controllable with the applications I applied. I love the pix with the plants growing everywhere! I think it adds a nice touch :)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Morph, a bushel gourd, when green, could easily weight between 10 to 50 pounds, depending on size. When dried, of course they are very lightweight.
Iris, if I still have that one it's yours. I'll check. Like I said, those pics are from last year so it should be ready for crafting. Email me to remind me tho!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Will Do! And "Thank You" sooo much!! :)

(Zone 5a)

Oh Shoe those are some great looking gourds. I don't think that you need all those gourds and a few should find their way to Columbus lol(just kidding). I can only imagine how many you will have this year, and I do hope that when you decide to decorate them you will post pictures so I can drool over them. I am almost finished with my apple gourd with the picture of a lady on it. I also am trying to find new patterens for the egg gourds. I will post a picture as soon as I am finished.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.