box turtles

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I had a little surprize this afternoon. When coming out my front door -- I live in the country and noone ever uses the front door -- I spotted a box turtle laying her eggs about 3 feet from the front steps.
anyone have experience with this? I think I might put a piece of chicken wire over the nest so nothing can dig them up. any other ideas? I figure the mother turtle knew what she was doing to put them there. I don't want to disturb them, let them hatch as naturally as possible, and then watch them take off in the big world. but still want to protect them from predators.
I am now on turtle watch!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Kjo, when i was a little girl on da bayou...lol! No, really, my dad taught me how to make a turtle nest. We used to take the big #10 cans that veggies come in--the kind schools used in lunch rooms and line them with about a half inch of damp mud. We packed the whole can firmly with mud and made a "lip" around the top. Then gently lowered the eggs in the can through a small opening. Then with the lid still hinged on we would close the lid and pack more mud on the lid, sealing it. We would keep notes on when we found the eggs and figure out when to start peaking at them to see when hatching time was. I don't remember how long it took for them to hatch...but I do know someone who does. . I can check with them if you would like and let you know, if you are interested...Lisa

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

KJo - How are the turtle eggs? Did you make a keeper for them? Can't wait for pictures!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Gardenwife, I haven't touched them. I think I read where it takes a long long time for them to hatch. Nothing has bothered them. I have the nest marked and check it everyday.

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

Please take a picture of the little ones and share it with us. I would love to see them!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I will certainly try to take a pic, waiting , waiting , waiting.

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

My hubby tells me that it depends on the species, but Ornates take 55 to 70 days and Easterns/Three-toes take 70 to 90 days. One of our Ornates laid eggs on May 1st and he is sooo excited!

AnnMarie

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Amari, would you ask your hubby if the temperature makes a difference. If the weather is unusually cool will it take longer for them to hatch? Thanks for the info.

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

Hubby tells me that cooler ground temperatures will cause a longer incubation period. You will also have more male hatchlings.

If you want to protect the nest, here is a link:
http://www.marietta.edu/~mcshaffd/boxt/eggs.html

AnnMarie

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

very VERY cool thanks for the link.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.