Still getting bigger!!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I can't remember what we decided the name of this one was. but eaither way it is getting bigger as the days go by. It's getting closer to time to harvest it too! Now what can I do with it?? I think it's too big to be a birdhouse.
but I have thought of making a planter out of it. Still not sure yet. Any ideas? If this was your's what would you do with it???

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

pray we don't get frost anytime soon!!!!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Yea that is what I am hoping!! But I am wondering if I covered it a little if that would help? It seems pretty solid so I guess I'll be finding out soon! By the looks of the vine its connected to it has a ways to go before its ready to pull off! I just hope that it don't get messed up before then!!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Boy, I don't know off the top of my head, Mollybee. That's a beauty, though :)

I've had a hankering that this photo rekindled. I think that some of these "longer" gourds would look really cool if they were "see-sawed" chopped around their length. The design could cover the entire gourd, but they could be opened lengthwise (creating two bowls if you will) and you could put treats or nuts or whatever in them.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey now that's an idea! Now if I could just wait for this thing to dry out! Its a hurry up and wait kinda game LOL

(Zone 5a)

Way to go Molly, it's looking good.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! :)

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Molly, I saw a gourd today like this one and the man said it was a Penguin gourd. He had it painted like a watermelon and it was very pretty.

This message was edited Monday, Nov 4th 11:19 PM

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

That is what my dh keeps saying it looks like...wonder if that is what mine is too?? I am still up for suggestions as to what to do with it. I pulled it off the vine today and man o man is it ever big!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I think yours is looking like an orca whale. Very neat!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Funny you should say that Zany, Since I pulled it off and got it scrapped it does look just like a whale!!

So how much did it weigh in as and how long was your 'baby'.
Sure is a beauty.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Just measured it, It's 22" around and 24" long and weighs 12lbs!! Biggun huh? I'm so proud! heehee

(Zone 5a)

Congrats, you have to post a picture of this one when you decorate it.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I think this one is going to take me awhile! It still hasn't hit me yet as to what I am going to do with it!! I keep looking at it in hopes of some bright idea popping in my head....but no luck so far!
I'm sure I'll post a pic of it no matter what kind of mess I make of it LOL

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

It looks like a club to me. Could be a lethal weapon.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Actually you can't really tell by the pic above but the smaller end has a crook in it, I think it's because it was leaning up against the fence and laying on the ground all at the same time. Looks alot like a whale with it's tail up in the air. I really thought it was a Cavemans club when it first started growing but at this point, I really don't know what you call it. Guess I'll never figure it out. But it'll do I guess.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Just don't hit anybody with it. That is huge.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

LOL I promise I wont >:)

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

Put a cloche or a large hot cap over it and keep feeding it!!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

:( too late, I have already pulled it off the vine :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.