Drawings on gourds

(Zone 5a)

I though that this link was getting to long.
http://davesgarden.com/t/361928/#new

Morph here is one of the pictures that I have finished
drawing, I will post both of them later when I have finished
the drawing.

Thumbnail by windsurffer
(Zone 5a)

Here are the two, and I plan on carving both.

This message was edited Saturday, Oct 19th 6:25 PM

Thumbnail by windsurffer
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, you are a real artist!! do you sell them? Vik

(Zone 5a)

Never had enough of them to sell before. I have a very small yard and I am lucky to get more than four so this year was a little better than last. Once I am finished with these I am going to put them up for sale at the Country Store down the street from me. I have to calculate how many hours and materials that I have put into them before I can come up with a price.
It took me about two hours to draw the lady the way I wanted her and about twenty minutes for the butterfly. I saw a picture of this lady years ago and did a drawing, I had no idea of where or how I would use it until today.
Now all I have to figure out is do I want to carve it or burn it???

This message was edited Saturday, Oct 19th 9:11 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, you could probably sell them here on this forum...I know I am interested. Let me know about the butterfly, I would love to buy it from you.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Wind, those are wonderful! You mentioned that you saw a picture of the woman ~ I was going to ask if you had created her with your imagination. Did you just start drawing from scratch for the butterfly? They are both gorgeous.

You know I haven't begun to craft any gourds yet, but my two cents is that I am drawn to the look of burning vs. carving. When I get that far, I think that is what I will try first, the burning. Well, that combined with some gourds that are earmarked strictly for bird houses.

Thanks for starting a new thread, too! We needed one :)

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Wind these are sooo pretty!!!! You are sooooooooo talented! I can't wait to see the finished project! I wish I could draw that good!

(Zone 5a)

Verd I will let you know as soon as I finish them all.

Molly I made a drawing of this lady about six years ago and kept it hoping to find a way to use it in a craft project. I ran across it while looking for designs that I had drawn earlier, not drawn from memory. All my drawings are fee hand drawings.
Have you got your wood burning tool? I am going to mix the two on this one.
It is going to take sometime to finish it, so many other things I have to do.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I have just never been able to do the faces, I can do alittle bit of drawing but usually I have to have a picture to go by...nothing free hand that's for sure!! I did my kids rooms to make them look like farms! It had a barn, the house, tractor and all the animals all inside of a split rail fence! LOL I did however paint some halloween stuff for a lady last year and they had faces LOL But more on the cartoon level....nothing too real looking like yours!
I have never been any good at the shading part eaither!
Soooo much to learn!!
Wish we lived closer I bet you could teach me alot!!

(Zone 5a)

I always have a picture to look at when I draw and so do most artist I know.
Molly my ex use to do pointillism and was a very good artist, I learned a lot watching him. Most of what I know I have taught myslef from library books. You can get a book from your library on how to draw faces, you would be surprised what you can do if you try. I do wish that we did live closer we would have big fun creating new things.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a good idea for this winter! I just might have to visit my local library and check out a few how to books to keep me busy this winter! Thanks for the tip!

(Zone 5a)

Anytime :}

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! I'm impressed! Do you draw them free-hand or did you make a stencil? I had no idea how elaborate and beautiful your drawings are! They will be a definite hit! How many are you planning to make for the holiday season? They will be a big success...I just know it!!!

(Zone 5a)

I did it free hand while looking at a picture that I had done a few years back. Drawing with a stencil on a round surface is awful hard to do especially with those tiny details. I have been drawing pictures of people since I was eight years old. I only had five gourds this year and not all of them are dry. I just picked them last month, the only ones that are completely dry are the egg gourds. I have two Apple gourds that are almost completely dry. The one above is just about ready for carving and wood burning.
I am glad that you like them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.