heating ?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

My greenhouse is 12x16 made of all windows. I am planning on using it this winter for the first time-I bought a heater but my dh doesnt think its big enough to keep it warm during the winter nights! Im here in michigan zone 5/6.
The heater I got is a:
Holmes 1 Touch tower Quartz heater
1000&1500watt
temp settings 60 65 70 75 80
high/low power
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Dori, how warm do you plan to keep it? Are your windows triple- (or double-) paned or single-paned?

You might consider placing bubble wrap on your windows, especially if they'r single-paned. I've read and somebody here told me that it will affix to rigid glazing if you mist with water first. I would think that could have a positive impact on how effectively a small heater will operate.

My neighbor has a small quartz heater for his GH, but his is only 8x10. He says it worked great - but then again, he didn't tell me what his total electricity bill was for last winter ;0)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm shopping for heaters right now,the local propane company want $1,000.00 to put a vented propane heater in there.I was just going to get one of those unvented propane wall heaters,but I was told that they'd eat up all the oxygen.What does everyone else use?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

CC, those wall mounted propane heaters might do you justice. I have one in my shoffice as a backup to my wood heater (for when I might get to go outta town, or be too lazy to split wood).
As for eating up all the oxygen: Because mobile homes are known to be airtight, when there is a woodstove/fireplace or the like installed they usually drill a hole in the floor and run a pipe thru it. This pipe goes to near where the burner is (or to the firebox) and brings air in for combustion. Seems to me the same system could be used in your ghouse...mount the heater, then below it run a pipe from outside to near where the heater is. This should draw in air and have little effect on causing a drop in temp. (Usually on the spec sheet of the heater there will be a "combustion chart" for proper amount of air needed.) By the way, on my heater there is also a "low oxygen sensor"...if the heater detects an insufficient amount of air it will automatically cut off.

Dori, sounds like if your gh is air-leakproof you should be able to use that heater. Not too familiar w/quart heaters tho. Maybe if it's an extremely cold nite you could put your plants in a fourth of the ghouse, drop some curtains of some kind to section off that area and just heat that part.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

My DH is in HVAC. He needs to know what the height is and the area (Length and Width) of roof. Is it flat roof or pitched? Are the windows double paned or an extra thick pane? How thick?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

length-16ft width 12 ft
ceiling is peeked
all side windows are double pane and the roof has plexiglass
and single pane crankouts mixed with single n double panes the east and west end have 2 single pane crankouts.
floor is carpet upsidedown!
10ft to the peek
this is the rear view and there is a 6ft elm wood wall-insulated on the northe eat corner!
we did a heating survey and it said something with
30,000BTU!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a small "milkhouse" electric heter for mine - course it's only 8x12. It has a thermostat on it and keeps things toasty warm. It only cost $26.00, might do you for a little extra heat at night and extra cold days.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

DH says that the 1500 Watts equals approx. 4,500 BTUs So if your survey called for he feels that the heater is too small. What are the min and max temps you want to maintain? He will do a heat-load calculation tomorrow at work.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

id like to keep it at the lowest 50 during the night and hoping the sun will warm to around 70 during the days-its in an open field and she has some leaks! =]
tell your dh thanks!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, 1500 watts doesn't offer much then, does it! I know my ghouse tends to really burn up fuel/lose heat when it's really windy. (Just noticed the "bay city michigan" by Notmartha's name...isn't that a windy place?)

Maybe a wall mount propane would also do you justice, dori. They don't require electricity either, unless you put a blower on them. My wall-mount from Lowes is 20,000 and cost about $180.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

I have a Hot Dawg modine GH heater. It is 30,000 BTU's and runs on propane although you can get it for natural gas too.It has a fan on it which blows the heat out. It was purchased for my 12 x 20 GH and was enough to keep the further end heated also.This year my GH has another 15 ft added to it which makes it 12 x 35. So far with a couple of nights of 26 degrees it has kept it warm. Hope it continues when it's 20 below. LOL
I bought it from International Greenhouse Company. They have several models.

Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

Try a company called Southernburner.com. They have heaters specially made for greenhouses. Easy to install. I really like mine. :-)

By the way... both International Greenhouse and Southern Burner Co. are in the Garden Watchdog - I hope you'll add your opinions of their products and service :) (Your feedback really does matter to these companies, AND to their potential customers.)

Valley Village, CA

I will be going through this also this coming weekend. I will report back what is suggested to me. I was told the whole thing, heater, mister, fan should not cost me over $100 but I live in Calif. I will also need an automatic window as well. I'm excited, I'm growing Hoya in this house. Norma

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ive been keeping that heater set at 70low at night and when i go out at 7am its still only 40s-have room divided off with a blanket right now!!!
OH bother!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Dori - I know I've told you before but I'm gonna say it again! I love that greenhouse!! Your hubby really did a great job with it. I've shown it to my DH a couple of times ... he's still not budging tho.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

poppy if i could live in it i would! I luv it too! i spend alot of time in there just sitting and thinking and enjoying the view of the garden! Thanks for the nice comment!
bring your Dh over for a visit! ;]

Slightly off-topic, but thanks for adding your comments, green_leaf and snowhermit ;0)

I have to second Sue's opinion - I've seen the photos, and notmartha's greenhouse is VERY cool.

But it sounds like you're going to have some struggles to keep it heated it this winter :(

Keeping them heated in colder climates is a battle, I found last year. I've been doing a lot of research on various ways to trap heat during daylight hours, in the hopes that I can cut down my fuel bill this winter. (And for starters, I'm not going to try to heat it until February, period.) But I'm optimistic that with some passive additions, I can help maintain an air temp that is a zone or so warmer than outside which is all I care to do until I have tender seedlings to protect :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well ive decided i either have to buy a bigger$$$$$ heater or bring everyone in the house-YIKES! I think the house sounds the best-already has heat and lights are still hanging! I think maybe Jan or feb i will slowly move back outside-id have luved to stay in there all winter!
Now for a break in the weather so i can start the move!
OH Bother!;]
thanks for all the nice things ya'll said about my greenhouse!
=]
I HATE WINTER! thank goodness we are getting a baby in the family in dec! something to look forward too!(i think)

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I have just recently turned on my oil-fired heater, and then when it really cools down..an extra base heater! seems to work and keep them happy!!! Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.