Wednesday , October 16,'02

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Busy day here today. All indoor work too like yesterday. Today is quite cool but yesterday would have been wonderful for working outside.
If we can't get Darcy broken of killing birds we will have to get rid of her. She will do fine for a week or more then she will kill again. I was really hard on her yesterday. My hand still hurts. Then Shad came in and shot the air rifle(with nothing in it)in the room and said a few threatening things to her in a firm tone of voice. She got the message that she is in big trouble over what she did. How long she will remember is something else.
We've had a scare with the 'fridge today. Jack noticed that the ice trays were just water. I thought one of the boys had dumped the trays into the holder. Then I found some thawed foods when I got some meatloaf out for Kyle's lunch. We discovered it had filled the tray under the freezer compartment with ice again. It does this at least once a year, usually twice. Shad emptied both sections and I put a large bowl of really hot water in the 'fridge to thaw the ice block. A few minutes ago I turned it on and the fan started up so we know it is probably ok afterall. Kyle had said we would get a new one next week when he gets paid if it was beyond repairing. I've secretly wanted a new one for a few years, but I don't want Kyle to have to buy it for us. This one is a Frigidare that we bought in the mid to late '70s. We've certainly gotten our money's worth out of it.
My brug keeps losing leaves. I pray it doesn't lose its buds too. I would really like to see it bloom this year. The move indoors then into a new pot was hard on it. It had grown into the soil beneath the pot and lost some roots when I picked it up. And it isn't getting as much light as I think it should. But I think if I move it many more leaves and maybe even buds will fall.
The plant room is looking better every day. I still have several tiny canna to replant in smaller pots. I don't think they will survive a winter of drying out because they are so small. I brought in some annuals that I didn't want to give up and will likely repot them in fresh soil soon. The 2 dahlia in an old washer tub outside have just started to open their buds so I'm covering them with sheets at night so we can at least see some blossoms on them this year. I need to go check on one coleus that I really like and see if I can still salvage it for a houseplant. It is out in the open so may be done in already.
Last week Shad found a cable that will hook his computer sound card and speakers to an old discarded very small radio/tape player/recorder he found in a dumpster months ago. The tape part gave out in just a few hours, but he can still pick up a good gospel station and play it thru his computer while doing his schoolwork.The radio isn't good stereo and the volume is very poor but boosting it thru the computer makes a world of difference. He gets to listen to Dr. Dobson, Joyce Meyers, Larry Birkett, Charles Stanley, etc. who are all fabulous teachers. In between them he gets gospel music. Yesterday Dr. Dobson had a really good talk on a subject I don't feel comfortable talking to Shad about or am even very knowledgable about for that matter so I was glad to have Dr. Dobson teaching him. Whatever Dr. Dobson says is ok with me. I heard the program too and actually learned quite a bit myself.
I guess I need to go work on the 'fridge some more or else the plant room. There are also 5 loads of clothes on the couch that need folding, more laundry that needs to be done, and a double sink full of dirty dishes to wash and put away. Thank GOD tonight is church so I can get out of this place and all its work for awhile. I got a key bobble this summer that is so me. It says "My only domestic quality is that I live in a house". Jack says I actually live in the yarden and just come into the house occasionally when I just have too.
GOD bless and keep all of you.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!