'Autumn Wings' Gourd

A relative has seen an Autumn Wing gourd and she says she NEEDS some of these to grow next season.

Has anyone ever grown them? Can you recommend a source for these that I can refer grandma?

dave

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Dave, I might have it if it's a smallish gourd, with these things that look like wings on the side.

Edited.

This message was edited May 19, 2005 9:29 AM

Yes, seedway has them in their catalog. I've passed this information along - thank you!

dave

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Rupp Seeds has them in various sizes & collections. 2001 we had a fabolus crop of them. Sold all we could pick! Brought a premium price too. This years weather wasn't good for the vine crops on our heavier ground, next year back to the sand!
Bernie

(Zone 5a)

Cala do you have a picture of these gourds, would love to see them.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I can take one, it will be Monday.

(Zone 5a)

Ok, thanks.

Edited

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 2:27 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Waving over here Bitty :) I can trade with you on almost any other variety :) These sound neat & I can't wait to see Cala's picture!

Updated to share this link w/photo at Rupp Seeds for the large size Autumn Wings Swan --> http://www.ruppseeds.com/divVegetable/autumnwingslargeswan.htm?mnu=1

This message was edited Oct 8, 2003 4:12 PM

We did find them, from Pinetree actually. It was my grandmother wanting them and she ordered a packet and she reported just a few weeks ago that she had literally hundreds of them from the few plants that she started. Of course, she is an expert gardener so I wasn't surprised!

dave

Edited

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 2:28 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Ah, decisions, decisions... Let's start with what you haven't tried growing yet :) Do you like the smaller gourds? I grew mostly those this year and like them a lot for smaller projects. But, we did grow an extra long handled dipper gourd, too! Hope it dries before it rots!

Hey, Bitty,could I be second on your list of getting just a few of those seeds. No preferance on color; not picky, just want to try to grow just a few.
You want SASE or something in trade? LMK

Coco,of course you can have some.

This message was edited May 19, 2005 9:30 AM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm not picky, either, Bitty! What would you like for a trade? You have to give me a hint so I get something up your alley ☺

Morph,sending you an e-mail.

Coco,i have your address.

This message was edited May 19, 2005 9:30 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a picture from this year. We had a good crop again.
Our biggest probelm is we never plant enough.
Lots of fun picking, not so much fun cleaning them!
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Another shot!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Nice selection, CG! About how many do you harvest per plant for these?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Never really paid attention to that. We plant about 1 acre of gourds. We take 1 oz of seed of each kind, put into our planter & plant. So all are mixed up in the field! Makes for fun picking because of all the surprises.
Bernie

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 2:29 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lil' Pump-Ke'-Mon.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 2:29 PM

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I would like to have some seed if you have any left. Let me know what you would like in return. Thanks

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 2:30 PM

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

CC,

I just purchased several of the fancy types you have pictured above at the local market. After I'm done using them for my Fall display, can I use the seeds inside to plant my own for next year? Do these fancy ones grow on a vine or on the ground?

Thanks,
Donna

Crossville, TN

I bought some mixed gourds at the flea market in Crosville, TN while I was there...and the Autum Wing was one of them. Will they dry?? I left them with my son to dry them before mailing them to me. (cheaper on postage and DIL can use them for her fall arrangement). As I don't want to cut the ONLY one I have, could I please have some seeds?? Let me know what you'd like in trade, bitty. Thanks, Jo

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 2:30 PM

Crossville, TN

Thanks! you have mail. Jo

Weslemkoon Lake, ON(Zone 3a)

I live in northern ontario and have fallen in love with gourds,,so sweet in colours and shapes,,If i buy some would I be able to plant from their seeds,,can I dry them? Thank you..Kathy

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh, Weslemkoon, you've found the right place! RR (Jo) has lots of varieties as do I and several other members here at DavesGarden (DGs). How to the gourds do in your zone? Do you get long, warm days during the summer to really grow them well? I'm so jealous if you do! I've quite a variety of seeds so let me know what is of interest to you! And, a belated welcome to you!

Crossville, TN

Kathy, Morph and I both love gourds...and windsurffer too...so soon I will make a list of what I can share this year and send you some...will be a few days as I have tons of things to catch up on right now. Welcome to DG by the way...you will LOVE it here. Jo

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 2:31 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Hopefully Windsurffer will stop by, too :) She's done some amazing work with gourds!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

bitty1, could I possibly have some of those gourd seeds too?pleas? just a few mixed(I like surprises) Id love to try those.

I just remembered, theres a gourd seed purchase going on now and I can add some of those to my purchase. Sorry. Have fun everyone.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2003 5:00 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Here's the link I started a day or two ago about buying gourd seeds as a group...

http://davesgarden.com/t/406493/

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I got a couple of these from a farm market back before Thanksgiving. They called them sea gourds, presumably because of the fins and because the farm is just a stone's throw from the ocean. The ones I got were fairly straight and to me look like a fat rocket.

Edited.

This message was edited May 19, 2005 9:31 AM

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

They look like the striped one in the front row of CountryGarden's second picture. Even if they are shark fin, that name would probably not have gone over very well in that area. The beach had been closed to swimming because a woman had been killed by a great white shark this past summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.