Your Favorite Oak(s) and Why?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone,
I have a large elm in my backyard that I need to have removed and would like to replace the tree with an oak. (The previous owner of the house had the elm topped and the branches that have regrown are not well attached to the tree and are falling off of the tree. Some of these branches are 6" to 8" in diameter. The tree is 70 to 100 years old, but it too dangerous to keep.)

I am having a hard time trying to decide what species of oak to plant. I live in USDA zone 4a (-20°F to -30°F).

I would prefer a white oak to red oak since white oaks are less susceptable to oak wilt (oak wilt is rampant in the Northern suburbs).

I like the look of Bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa), but would like a tree with a little fall color (fall color would be nice, but not necessary). I also like the look of the Chestnut oak (Quercus montana (prinus). I would prefer an oak that drops its leaves in the fall.

I have moist, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.8 (I had a soil test done).

Is anyone growing either of these two trees? If so, can you please share your experiences. Have you had any problems with either of these two trees? Any other species you would recommend?
Thanks for any help.
Mike

Harlingen, TX(Zone 10)

I'm at the other extreme. I'm in zone 10 or 11 (southern tip of Texas). I'd like to plant an oak, but I don't want to plant a live oak. That's what everybody plants down here. I've got nothing against them. I think they're pretty, I'd just like to plant something different.

I think I've seen Burr oaks planted down here, but I'm just not sure if what I've seen is a Burr oak. Does anyone have any links to websites with detailed pictures of oak trees? I'd like to get a look at the leaves up close so that I can be sure I've identified these correctly as Burr oaks.

Thanks,
Marco

Raphine, VA(Zone 6b)

http://www.westol.com/~pennwest/trees/trees.html

Here is a site with info on some of the Oak trees as well as others.
Also www.forestfarm.com is good.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

RavenBuck,
Thanks for the link. Great site. I have the Forest Farm catalog and it is a great resource.

Does anyone out there actually have a Chestnut Oak (Quercus montana) in their yard? Do you like the tree? What fall color does your chestnut oak have?
Thanks for any information.
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.