Mystery gourd

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

Anybody know what this is? I grew many interesting gourd plants, but somehow all I got were these oval things (they are about 6" tall by 4" wide, most of them anyway). Also grew quite a few beautiful egg gourds. Wish the swans and bottle gourds had come through, but since this is what came out, perhaps I can dry them and use them for some woodburning projects. Still would like to know what they are. (???)

Thumbnail by Pala
Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm wonder if it's the Apple gourd?!! Maybe Windsurffer will come along and ID it for ya. She is growing the Apple gourds this year, so she should be able to ID it better than me. There are so many different ones out there..there is no telling what it is! LOL

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I've absolutely no idea. I'm with Mollybee, though, on the guess at an Apple Gourd. Maybe it started as an Apple and was crossed with a small bushel to produce this? Pretty cool regardless :)

(Zone 5a)

I am not sure what kind it is, but it doesn't have the apple gourd shape but that doesn't mean that it isn't one.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I know now, it's a Pumpkin Gourd! And, you are the inventor of it :)

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

Dang, Morph... :>( You mean this crossed with my sugar pumpkins clear across the garden!? Or possibly one of the mixed variety gourds which were planted 5 feet away? So they'll may rot because they're not cured? Sure don't want to eat them. I've got buttercup squash and pumpkins coming out my ears, but I was hoping for an art project medium from these gourds. Maybe the egg gourds will work, but I'd really rather not scrape all of them. I could have sworn I've seen gourds that were just left to dry w/o the scraping process. Or am I just lazy?

Crossville, TN

Pala, we grew dipper gourds last year...our first ever gourds....and I didn't scrape any of them...until they were all dried and as I wanted to work on them I soaked them in water, used a "chore girl" type pot scrubber, and cleaned them that way. Jo

(Zone 5a)

Pala according to this link yours is a kettle gourd check it out and let me know what you think http://www.northerndipper.com/gourds.php

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

Windsurffer, hang-ten! You very well may be correct. The shape looks the same. At any rate that's a really interesting page. Thanks for posting it. I bookmarked it. Now only if I can get them to dry inside here without rotting.

(Zone 5a)

Hang in there Pala, they will dry. Did you scrape them? If you did they will dry faster but you still have to turn and wipe them to keep the mildew off.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Wind, that's a great site! And, the prices for seeds are reasonable, too :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the link....it is cool! Morph is right, they do have good prices.

(Zone 5a)

Your both welcome and I thought the prices were great.

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

I think that is a Cannon Ball

Clinton, IL(Zone 6a)

I believe "Cannonball" is more ROUND... perhaps a MIX between an egg gourd and cannonball?

Gilmer, TX

Don't forget the bleach bath.

Crossville, TN

Since this thread was started in 2002...and Morph is the only one of the posters that is still here on DG...I guess we'll never know what it turned out to be..*sigh*....Jo

Gilmer, TX

I'd like to know what is was too, Jo. I see a number of crafting ideas for that gourd. How have you been doing? Got a good gourd crop this year? I didn't have one come up. However I still have alot in the dirt house so I can keep gourding at least until the state meeting where I can buy more. Pam

Crossville, TN

Pam...COPD keeps me from doing much bending over type gardening...and although I have 4 acres only a wee yard is fenced for my wee dog. No matter what I do the rabbits still manage to get throug..or under...my fence...so this year I only have a little Swan Gourd planted...and it is in a raised bed.

I belong to a Gourd Group here in my area and can always get some gourds...from other people that like to work more than me....LOL Jo

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

Here are two pictures of gourds the top one is a Bushel Basket, the other is a Cannon Ball

Thumbnail by purpbutfly
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Now it looks more like a cannon ball, just my HO.

"eyes"

Crossville, TN

I think we would need something to gauge the size by...I suppose those are 6 inch boards...maybe larger?? Jo

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

In the top post, Pala did say it was about 6" x 4". I suppose it could be an oblong cannonball . . . or some kind of egg gourd cross . . .

Monroe, LA

Here's a wonderful Gourd Chart....you may find your NOID gourd here!

http://www.ozarkcountrycreations.com/Expand%20Gourd%20Chart.htm

Crossville, TN

That is a wonderful chart...so many gourds are mixes and get new names. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.