Perennial Sweet Pea problem

Muncy, PA(Zone 5a)

I have a year old sweet pea vine that is coming up. It is at the base of a trellis and in morning shade, with late afternoon sun. It bloomed beautifully last year.
The leaves have come up green and healthy but all of a sudden the plant looks like it is water deprived. The leaves are shriveling and it is becoming limp in some spots. The soil is cool and moist around it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Boonville, MO(Zone 5a)

How dense is the soil? If it is really really hard and compact then that could be the problem. On one side of my house I have very dense moist soil. The plants growing there thrive but perhaps some other plants wouldnt. Just a thought. I am no expert on soil conditions.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Perennial sweet peas like it on the dry side & need good drainage. Maybe the soil is too wet? If the roots were rotting because of too much moisture the leaves would yellow and be limp and eventually fall off.

Muncy, PA(Zone 5a)

Been checking the soil. It is sort of clayish but not like stone. The soil is definitely not too wet.
I have been digging around the plant and nothing looks funny about the roots and I can't see anything eating away at it either. What bugs me the most is that last year it grew like crazy. Hmmm....
Thanks Angel and Sue for your info. I guess I will just have to keep my eye on it and resist the temptation to dig it up. :oD

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Lori
Sounds like pythium fungus. Causes the roots to quit taking up water and tey eventually rot. Rub your fingers across some of the roots and if they are soft, break when touched or the outer sheath comes off, that is what it is.
Calalily

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Lorie, I have LOTS of perennial sweet pea if you would like to trade - I am not picky, my flower beds are new and still need filling. The only problem - they are about 3-4' tall now & how do I ship them without breaking them???? Let me know, I have already yanked a few, they have spread away from the fence and onto the driveway. They have been here for years. I kept breaking stems when I was trying to get them on the fence, they seem fragile. Would it work to cut them & then ship them??? I would hate to just throw them out. Julie

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7b)

Julie,
I would love to have some of your perennial sweet pea. Could you just fold them into one of the usps long boxes? What are you looking for in trade. I really hope I have something that you would like. email me if you have time,
Jackie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.