ID for this hummer?

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm guessing it's a ruby throat, but I honestly don't know for sure. Fuzzy photo. Little buggers can be difficult to photograph. Would like to know if it is the standard northern variety, or if a southern straggler made it's way north.

Thumbnail by naturepatch
Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

naturepatch, basically there is only one hummer species east of the Miss. river, the ruby throat, no such thing as a northern and southern species. The picture as best I can tell, is an adult male. What you and others may think are different species are male, female, and immature male and female ruby throats. In the eastern US, the best way to determine if you have something other than a ruby is to look at its tail. If you see rufous coloring, then I can say with 100 percent authority that it is not a ruby, the same would hold true with blackchins. If you do not know what I mean by rufous color, look at the pics in my journal.

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I am aware that the ruby throat is the only one that should be in the area. I do know that the occasional stray makes it's way in this direction. Just double checking. I've never had a brightly colored male in the yard, with the visible red throat. So I am obviously frequented by the females and youths.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.