Is it too late?

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I have been meaning to do a few hypertufa projects, but never got around to it. Can these projects be done in the basement this winter? Is there an odor? Or am I just too late?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

It's never too late!! Lol - no no odor - just the dust of cement that you might not like. I mix mine is a large bucket, or wheelbarrow , depending on the size project I am doing. The dust settles quiclkey tho as soon as you add the water. It is a rather messy job tho so be sure to cover your work area with plastic.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Azalea... Since you do some hypertufa projects, you might be able to answer my querry. Recently, I used some of the structural bonding cement on a wall. Since it has chopped glass fibers in it, I wonder if there would be any benefit to mix it with perlite and use it for containers? I thought it might make tougher containers in a thin wall composition. Whadda ya think?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hummm - That might work - Pretty expensive stuff tho compared to cement.

Yes, I know it's quite expensive... but supposed to be very strong in a thickness of just 1/8" so I thought one could make thin pots. Not that thin, of course, but not as thick as hypertufa is normally. I thought it might keep them from being as likely to break. Maybe I will try one later this fall.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

What have you got to lose!!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't think that working with hypertufa in the wintertime would be a problem. Make sure that you are in a well ventilated room, open a window a crack, if one is available, and/or run a fan.

High humidity during the summertime affects the drying time of hypertufa. At least that is what I have read on several websites.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I don't even think a mask at this time will help. The lime in the cement is really harmful...even in the best of times! just a suggestion! Elaine

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Matbe I had better wait til spring and do it in the garage. The lime doesn't sound good. Oh, well.

I always wear a respirator mask when working with dry powders like cement. And gloves... cement will take your skin right off!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

True, cement is very caustic. You definitely don't want to inhale the dust.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.